Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Programmatically rotate a platter.

I need to build a rotating platter (something similar to a motorized lazy suzanne), and have the ability to rotate it at X degree intervals.

I buy something like a Lego Mindstorms package which would come with the rotating motor and an API interface, but that seems a bit overkill.

Are there any motorized components out there that come with their own interfacing API's?  The motor would probably have to hook up to some control bord which kooked up to a serial/usb port, or the motor could connect directly.

Thanks everyone.

Spin me 'round.
Monday, July 26, 2004

Yes, google "stepping motors."

Mr. O
Monday, July 26, 2004

www.parallax.com has the BasicStamp module, which interfaces really well to Servo units.  For a 'full-circle', you'll need a 'modified' servo unit, along with some kind of position encoder.  For a first unit, a "Board Of Education" with a BasicStamp2,  along with a 'Modified Servo' should do the job.  You'll spend around $150 for all that.

The Lego Mindstorms may be a little more expensive, but have fewer interface problems.

www.basicmicro.com sells the 'Atom' microcontroller, based on the PIC16F876, and an interface board for it, and 'Modified Servo's also.  The Atom does what a Stamp does, only with more speed and memory and code space.  And a much better debugger.

On those web-pages, you might also find references to a single-board which provides an RS-232 to Servo interface, that could be controlled directly from the PC.

AllanL5
Monday, July 26, 2004

How about flashing a panel up periodically, saying "Wouldn't a Microwave Pizza Be Good Right Now?"

Eventually, the user will get a microwave pizza, and cook it, which would involve the rotation of a platter.

Jon Hendry
Monday, July 26, 2004

You will find Circuit Cellar magazine in B&N and Borders.

http://www.circuitcellar.com/

They have lots of ads for interesting hardware doohickies. I'm sure that there will be a few ads that are selling things you want. Maybe some that your wife will let you keep in the house, too!

Peter
Monday, July 26, 2004

Just a thought, but could a standard headphone socket provide the output to something? Would that be a nifty way to hijack something every computer probably has, and use it to control a robot?

i like i
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

"Eventually, the user will get a microwave pizza, and cook it, which would involve the rotation of a platter."

In QA we discovered your system is buggy; not all users' microwaves have platters.

Kyralessa
Sunday, August 01, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home