Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Third, er, sixth, er, last Star Wars named

"Revenge of the Sith"

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackageArticle.jhtml?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=553471&section=news

Philo

Philo
Monday, July 26, 2004

Does it make it more interesting when you do things out of order?

Formerly someone else
Monday, July 26, 2004

"Revenge of the Sixth"?????

Shouldn't that be "Revenge of the Third"?

:)

Paulo Caetano
Monday, July 26, 2004

You should read the Dune books, if you like things being out of order.

I'm sure it started off as a "trilogy", but so far, in order of publication it has been:

#7, #8, #9
#10, #11, #12
#4, #5, #6
#1, #2, #3

I do wonder if there will be #13, etc.

I recommend this series to anyone, although it is a major investment of time, to get through so many.

Nemesis
Monday, July 26, 2004

Well, from experience I know to buy my ticket for another movie & then sneak in during the last half hour when Yoda kicks ass.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, July 26, 2004

If you consider that the later Dune books were not written by the original author, Frank Herbert, it makes perfect sense. His son simply sold out a franchise for "prequels", it seems... as if the dad didn't already reduce the magnificent start into a disappointing political panopticum series.

I would recommend the original "Dune" to everyone; the rest of the franchise I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Monday, July 26, 2004

"The name was unveiled on Saturday for 6,500 comic-book fans at the 35th annual Comic-Con International in San Diego. Many in the audience jumped out of their seats, thunderously screaming in joy. Some even gave one another hugs."

I'm glad they have comic conventions for Down Syndrome sufferers.

Tayssir John Gabbour
Monday, July 26, 2004

The original title was going to be "The Passion of the Jar Jar", and it was just going to be two hours of him being beaten by Stormtroopers.  While it tested well with limited audiences, with some offering to pay twice to see it, Lucas thought it had limited spin-off marketing possibilities, so now we have "Revenge of the Sith".

[from a Slashdot posting by someone else.]

Justin Johnson
Monday, July 26, 2004

I have the depressing feeling this thread should be called "...*latest* Star Wars named" (my emphasis).

a cynic writes...
Monday, July 26, 2004

Be prepared for the Star Wars:ROTS headlines the day it releases...

Greg Hurlman
Monday, July 26, 2004

But the big question is: when are they going to give us DVDs of the original three movies in their un-bastardised form?

Han shot first, damnit!

Mr Jack
Monday, July 26, 2004

"at least one of the movies from the forthcoming STAR WARS TRILOGY (SWT) DVD set has been leaked to the internet. A ultra high quality divx copy of RETURN OF THE JEDI, featuring new effects and inclusions not seen in any prior released versions of the movie, has been placed online."

"Several message forums of video and STAR WARS websites have confirmed that Sebastian Shaw has been removed from the "ghost trio" at the end of JEDI and replaced by Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker. As well, a scene showing the citizens of Naboo, consisting of both humans and Gungans, celebrating the death of the Emperor has been included in the montage of locations after the destruction of the second Death Star."

I have a bad feeling about this.....

And YES, HAN SHOT FIRST!!!

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Video+%26+DVD&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270352&obj_id=42156

Genx'er
Monday, July 26, 2004

Dune was originally a serial in Galaxy, I think it was Galaxy, I have one episode somewhere.

Simon Lucy
Monday, July 26, 2004

Don't watch any of the Dune films/TVMs, just read the books.

Nemesis
Monday, July 26, 2004

"Writing is the really the process of REwriting" - Burke Huner

One of my old professors, a Physicist, made that comment once.

It's certainly true of writing and also of software development.

Star Wars was written and rewritten dozens of times. The final version barely resembles the first.

ANALYSIS OF THE WRITING OF STAR WARS
http://home.austin.rr.com/rsincla/starwars/development.htm

Mr. Analogy
Monday, July 26, 2004

How dull.  This one is a better account:

http://www.modernhumorist.com/mh/0010/starsaga/

Kyralessa
Monday, July 26, 2004

You can't honestly expect me to believe that anyone read any Dune books other than the first one.

Clutch Cargo
Monday, July 26, 2004

I did.  They sucked.

Sassy
Monday, July 26, 2004

I read the second and part of the third (in written order, I mean).  The way the good guys in the previous book always became the bad guys in the new book just started to make my head hurt.

Kyralessa
Monday, July 26, 2004

"Well, from experience I know to buy my ticket for another movie & then sneak in during the last half hour when Yoda kicks ass. "

Anyone else have a problem with that?  I mean, the "crazed hamster on meth" performance was the last thing I expected from the dignified Yoda.  I always thought of him as having economy of motion, etc.  Kinda like Jedi Aikido, if you will :)

Guess it doesn't sell as many tickets, though.

Rich
Monday, July 26, 2004

I've read all six (original) Dune books, and I reread them every few years.  I think they're the best science fiction saga ever.

Just don't get me started on the prequels.

Justin Johnson
Monday, July 26, 2004

"I mean, the "crazed hamster on meth" performance was the last thing I expected from the dignified Yoda."

Meth?! I thought he was on crack.

Wisea**
Monday, July 26, 2004

Actually, he's not on anything.  It's just that after watching the previous ~110 minutes of mind-numbing actors/actresses on valium, it seems like he's on meth.

As for the title, I fear the ROTS abbreviation is going to be accurate, and hope George Lucas's future participation in the movie business is limited to sitting in the audience.

Should be working
Monday, July 26, 2004

It's a weird business model, isn't it? Sit in a dark room, stare at some guy's idea of fun for two hours with a friend. I sometimes wonder if filmmakers realize what kind of responsibility that is.

The only recent movie I'd watch alone was Dawn of the Dead. The rest are so bad they'd put Troma out of business.

Sigh. http://www.waxy.org/archive/2004/06/25/waxys_ba.shtml

The Tartakovsky Clone Wars cartoons commissioned by Lucasfilms (distributed online for publicity) were pretty good though. Like Animatrix, these side projects are better than the movies...

Tayssir John Gabbour
Monday, July 26, 2004

"REVENGE" of the Sith?

What a rare word.

Alex
Monday, July 26, 2004

Look, I gotta admit I love the Star Wars franchaise. Great movies. Not to big on the books. I need them to figure out a way to make mind blowing movies, is there really no room for innovation (as sometimes seen in the Star Trek franchaise)?

Li-fan Chen
Monday, July 26, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home