Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Can 2 diff Windows OS share pgms reliably?

I have a 28 GB hard disk on my computer divided into 3 partitions.
- Drive C: Windows 98 SE (1st primary partition)
- Drive C: Windows XP (2nd primary partition)
- Drive D: contains data (a logical partition)

To free up some disk space I would like to install some software such as Microsoft Office 97 once for Windows 98 and then once again for Windows XP. The catch is each time I install the sofware I want to store the executeable files in one location on my hard disk (i.e. folder D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\).

Note I have shared many different software programs between two different Windows operating systems before, however, I did this many years ago. The problem I am running into is that it has been such a long time since I tried to do this that I don't remember if I ran into any problems.

Btw, I am using Google right now to search for known problems with my proposed setup. Also, I plan on buying and installing a larger hard disk when I have some time and money.

A JOS fan
Sunday, July 25, 2004

Office97 in particular should work - create a share, connect to it, do an administrative install which will put most of the files onto that share, then do a workstation install from both Win98 and WinXP.

This doesn't completely get rid of duplicates.  When you do the install on each os, a few files will be installed locally, ie windows\system directory.

It's been too long (sometime in early 98) since I did this, so I forget all the details.  A couple things:

There is a file with some notes on the Office97 CD-ROM, maybe it was networks.txt. 

To do an admin install, you run setup /a

Ward
Monday, July 26, 2004

I recommend against this. It used to work but it's problematic these days. Different OS's will prefer and install different versions of DLL's.

If I was running different OS's on one machine, I would restrict each app to a given OS. For apps I really needed under both OS's, I would do a second installation to a new directory.

Me And The View Out The Window
Monday, July 26, 2004

What is the reason for running Win98?

Stephen Jones
Monday, July 26, 2004

"What is the reason for running Win98?"

It's our fastest most reliable os yet.    Well, that's what the marketers said  back then. 

Formerly someone else
Monday, July 26, 2004

"What is the reason for running Win98?"

How about older software such as classic games?

Monday, July 26, 2004

Although I've never done it with MS Office, I am currently doing it with OpenOffice, Firefox, and various Java apps at home.

I installed all of them into version-labeled folders on a Samba Share on my fileserver.  Then, I created aliases of just the application name that pointed to the versioned folders.

Then, my win2k machine, my wife's win98 machine, and a few other boxes can all map the share and have all the apps available.

Now, when I go to upgrade applications, I install the new version into the version-specific folder, remap the alias, and all the clients have been updated.  This has worked pretty solidly for upwards of 18 months now.

KC
Monday, July 26, 2004

OpenOffice, Firefox, and Java apps are typically multiplatform apps that don't use the registry much.  So then it's not a problem.

But other, native Windows programs do use the registry a bit more, in combination with files. That can be a problem. However, I think the workstation install method should work. Good thinking.

Janonymous
Monday, July 26, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home