Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

HW Question - which scanner?

I need a good, cheap scanner with quality drivers for WinXP and a simple user interface. What can you folks recommend?

I really must stress the simple UI. No more custom pink embossed buttons please.

I've had a Mustek USB scanner for about 2 years and it's been nothing but trouble. The drivers suck, non-standard installation crashes, leaves a partial install but uninstall doesn't work etc.

Their latest driver update added SOUND EFFECTS to the user interface.

It's not even worth for me trying to reinstall Windows because of this. I'm throwing it away and need a new one.

TomA
Sunday, July 25, 2004

I have a cheap HP scanjet that uses the same driver and software as most of their other stuff.  It works very well and consistently.

Justin Johnson
Sunday, July 25, 2004

+1 for the HP ScanJet

r1ch
Sunday, July 25, 2004

Good
Cheap

You can only pick one.

Harry Krishna
Sunday, July 25, 2004

Any HP scanner works. I have an 3970, but even 3500 works greatly.
The software is intuitive and lets you configure everything you can think about.

Christian Xen
Sunday, July 25, 2004

I've got a Canon U1220, and just love the thing. Single push button on the front to bring up the scan software, easily configurable options for various presets, it's only about an inch think, and best of all, no power cord - it's powered directly from the USB cable.

Chris Tavares
Sunday, July 25, 2004

Get a Microtek.  The Twain driver is excellent with full control over color and the ability to save the settings.

Driver quality under XP is rock solid.

John Murray
Monday, July 26, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home