Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Universal MSDN or Empower Program

I don't know where else to ask. Does anyone who has the MSDN Universal Subscription know if it is possible to get older versions of MS Development tools, in particular the Visual Studio 6.0 by signing up to the Empower program (which includes 1 universal subscription). Microsoft's website only mentions that the only Visual Studio available is the .NET one.  I am currently trying to find an unused retail license for Visual Studio 6.0 and besides ebay,  nobody on the internet sells MS Studio 6. Ebay is OK, but I'd never know if the license was academic/non-retail/oem or whatnot, or at least there would be no guarantee. I am just trying to cover my ass in case I do develop a decent product in VB6 & C++ and only then to  find out that it was done with a nonlegit copy of the MS Studio.

James Thomas
Saturday, July 24, 2004

You know that MSVC v7 is able to compile non-.NET software ... MFC and so on?

Christopher Wells
Saturday, July 24, 2004

Yes, I know that, but it is mostly the Visual Basic 6 that is of main interest to me. I've been developing a nifty application between classes in college, they have Visual Studio 6 on every PC but with the academic license, so now I wish to release the program but can't find a retail copy of VB6 to buy and compile my project in that.

James Thomas
Saturday, July 24, 2004

Yes, MSDN Unverisal does include access to Visual Studio 6.0 including VB.  Last time I checked it came on both the DVD and was available for download in the subscription area.

Jonathan A.
Saturday, July 24, 2004

You don't need MSDN Universal to get VB6 - I have MSDN Professional (all the company would shell out for) and VB6 is available via MSDN Downloads.

It's only the Professional version,  if you want VB6 Enterprise you'd probably need an MSDN Enterprise subscription.

RocketJeff
Saturday, July 24, 2004

Yes, see what I can download via Empower:
Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise Edition
Visual Studio 6.0 Professional Edition

Alex Tronin
Sunday, July 25, 2004

Thanks to everyone for the information.

James Thomas
Sunday, July 25, 2004

"I've been developing a nifty application between classes in college, they have Visual Studio 6 on every PC but with the academic license, so now I wish to release the program but can't find a retail copy of VB6 to buy and compile my project in that. "

Find a copy of the License that covers the copies of VB you've been using. If it's Microsoft's standard Academic License then you shouldn't have anything to worry about - it only restricts who's able to buy the Microsoft product, the rest of the license is the standard licence for their product.

If you still want your own copy, go ahead and buy an Academic copy (if you're still eligable). Again, the last time I looked, the only addition to the license was who was able to buy the Microsoft product, not what they did with it after they bought it.

RocketJeff
Sunday, July 25, 2004

RocketJeff,

The Microsoft Educational licenses only license the software for educational purposes. For him to release a product commercially, he'll need the full license.

James 'Smiler' Farrer
Monday, July 26, 2004

I assume the 'educational license' covers the software installed by the school on their computers (or student computers??) for classes. If so, then he does need to buy his own copy.

The 'Academic License' version should still suit him fine (if he's still a student) since it doesn't have that restriction.

RocketJeff
Monday, July 26, 2004

Let me add a few weasle words... I'm assuming that MS hasn't changed their Academic License in a couple of years.

The last time I read it, the only change from their regular license was that only students/faculty could buy it (due to its cheap price).

RocketJeff
Monday, July 26, 2004

I am in a similar situation... need to ramp up quick and refactor a legacy app written in VB6 for a customer and they don't want to be deploy .NET yet.  Is it true that I can just purchase MSDN Professional 1-yr subscription and proceed to download VB6 Pro install files? 

And does that mean that I'd have to renew the subscription as long as I continue developing in VB6?

Thanks much...

grwong(at)gmail.com

G Wong
Friday, August 13, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home