Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Conferences as an Independant?

Back when I was working for The Man, I attended a fair share of conferences, some more worthwhile than others, but I usually got something out of all of them. The best part, however, was that I wasn't paying.

Now, though, I'm an independant developer--and loving it. Except that I can only dream about going to some of these conferences. I can't afford to spend $1K to go--nor would I; they aren't really worth *that* much in the end.

Now I know that some conferences give free passes out like candy. So...how do I get in on that?

Brad
Saturday, July 24, 2004

Find out what magazines are published by the media company that runs the show, and subscribe to them

-Mark
(still haven't been able to use my free passes to the Embedded Systems Conference, but someday...)

Mark Bessey
Saturday, July 24, 2004

I've gotten many free passes to the Embedded Systems conference - but only the exhibition floor. I don't think there are many passes for the classes and tutorials. :(

sgf
Saturday, July 24, 2004

Dont forget they are an excellent way to tax deduct vacations

the artist formerly known as prince
Sunday, July 25, 2004

When I was working on my Masters degree, I was able to attend many conferences real cheaply as a student. Most will want some letter from your accomplice, err, I mean professor/department, saying you are a full time student. Which is also a great way to get cheap software: being an eternal starving student.

One conference I went to, the student price for the full conference (tutorials, outside events) was 10% of the full list price.

Drawback: with a student conference badge, I had 0% success rate begging for tchochkees/trinkets.

Peter
Monday, July 26, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home