Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Link to a DUN connection in a web page?

Does anyone know how to create a link in an html document to a DUN connection on the same machine?

In case anyone thinks I'm up to anything dodgy, what I want to do is create an html doc on my PC with a table of possible connections with notes on what times they are cheapest for (like http://www.holpert.de/christian/internet-by-call/Internet-by-Call.shtml but with links to the actual connections), that way I can just look at my watch and click whichever link is appropriate to start a connection.

Saturday, July 24, 2004

The first thing I tried was:

Create a shortcut to your DUN connection and save it somewhere.

Use a file: link

<a href="file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/ward/Desktop/Shortcut%20to%20Dial-up%20Connection.lnk"> link text </a>

Seems to work.

Ward
Saturday, July 24, 2004

Actually I did that and it didn't work. After you suggested it did I went back and fiddled. I still can't get it to work in Mozilla but it is fine in IE.

Thanks. That's step 1 out of the way.

Saturday, July 24, 2004

You're right... I use Mozilla, but this isn't my usual computer so I didn't change the default browser.  When I saved my test html file and then opened it, it came up in IE, where the link worked.  But in Mozilla it wants me to save the lnk file, which isn't so useful.

Ward
Saturday, July 24, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home