Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What kind of (paper)notepad do you use?

For meeting, scribbling notes, etc, etc.
with or without line?

Phil Crompton
Friday, July 23, 2004

With line. But even better is a Tablet PC with MS OneNote :) I was able to borrow one a while back and it was fantastic in that kind of environment. It's weakness, however, was that it was too slow with other applications so I haven't bought one yet.

James U-S
Friday, July 23, 2004

With.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, July 23, 2004

Where I work hardback notebooks (lined) are popular.

I used to have a Palm Pilot that I used as the backing for a small stack of post-it notes. It was the best ever use I found for it.

Harvey Pengwyn
Friday, July 23, 2004

Without. So I can use the paper in landscape or portrait without worrying and because I just tend to use wads of copier paper for notes and scribbles. I don't tend to keep these notes and diagrams, they last as long as they need to and then get binned.

Len Holgate
Friday, July 23, 2004

I use a legal pad.

And I seem to be the only one in meetings who actually takes any notes...

KC
Friday, July 23, 2004

Whatever kind I can snag.

If I'm awake enough to think ahead, I bring along a legal pad of some sort (whatever was in the supply closet).  If I'm slacking, then I use the little moleskine notebook I always carry around with me.

BTW, I've found that little notebook, with its built in pocket much more useful than any PDA I've ever owned. Plus it's nice to have a source of paper that you can rip off and give to someone else if needed.

http://www.moleskine.it/eng/default.htm

Steve Barbour
Friday, July 23, 2004

I have one of each.  When I'm doing design work (psuedo UML type stuff) I draw on the unlined with colored pencils.  When I'm doing my coding / tracking down problems, I prefer lines because the keep me organized, especially when making lists.

Brian
Friday, July 23, 2004

Moleskines rock.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, July 23, 2004

- 8.5" x 11" lined yellow notepads
- 5" x 7" lined yellow notepads
- 11" x 14" white computer printer paper, I use the blank unlined side.

mackinac
Friday, July 23, 2004

8.5" x 11" white lined note pad for most notes.
steno pad for notes that need to last more than a week.

Peter
Friday, July 23, 2004

Greenbar.  We have boxes and boxes since we switched to laser printers

Formerly someone else
Friday, July 23, 2004

I may doodle, sometimes a diagram, sometimes some gnomic set of letters I never understand afterwards and usually its on unlined paper.

Simon Lucy
Friday, July 23, 2004

Mead wirebound graph paper. 
http://tinyurl.com/4e3du (Office Max)

It has the advantages of both blank and lined paper:
- because the lines go both directions, you can use it either landscape or portrait. 

- the vertical lines allow you to line up outline items or draw boxes more easily

- The page feels more open with lines in both directions. 

I've used them since my last year of college, after trying every type of legal pad I could find, and I'd never go back.

EAW
Friday, July 23, 2004

Unlined. More formal notes are in little notebooks inside a Moleskine accordion folder. Less formal ones are on found paper.

I like unlined since it's nice to come to a blank page.

Tayssir John Gabbour
Friday, July 23, 2004

I really like those green "Engineers Pads", with graph paper on the back.  When writing, you can see the lines through the page, so your stuff stays straight.

Then, if you xerox it, the grid lines don't come through, so your accuracy looks magical.

Also, since it is light green, it is clearly different from yellow pads or white pads.  This means a page with a diagram drawn on it shows up in a document, when viewed edge-on.

Also, you can use it portrait or landscape, since the lines run both ways.

However, it is a little pricey ($5.00 per pad) so for 'normal' text work I try to find yellow or white college ruled pads, preferably micro-perfed at the top.

AllanL5
Friday, July 23, 2004

Second the engineering pads...

The grid on the back allows you to do accurate sketches or graphs, but doesn't get in the way.  The ones I've used have a few faint boxes on the top for a title, page number, date.

Ward
Friday, July 23, 2004

Pagine Bianche, by Fabriano. And a moleskine, of course. I love white sheets.

Ros
Friday, July 23, 2004

No lines preferred, largest paper size possible.

I like to draw pictures: http://www.devinmoore.com/artwork/drawings/index.htm

I always wanted to carve my notes onto stone tablets, then go into a meeting, carrying one on each arm, and do the ol' Moses routine.

Devin
Friday, July 23, 2004

MarkTAW is right on.  Moleskine are super.  I always keep one of the bigger size in my bag to explore longer trains of thought.  The littler ones are nice too, and great for traveling light, but I sometimes get a bit agitated having to wrap and flip so much, and I find my posture gets really fetal when writing on something that small.  Physical agitation isn't a good state for thinking.

Now Moleskine sell 3 packs with fewer pages each and a flimsier cover.  (Maybe they always have, but I've only just discovered them.)  I've actually started to like the littler size of these a lot to keep in my pocket all the time.  I now scribble small notes, book titles, to-do lists, and other throwaway things on these instead of notecards.  With the Fisher bullet pen somebody mentioned in the gizmos thread this week, I'm hardly ever without a means to jot.

As for meetings, I rarely take notes in meetings, but occasionally carry a legal pad to doodle on -- in a leather folder if it's a client meeting, to help sell the delusion that I'm more proper than I am.

The electronic stuff isn't worth the bother when stumbling around town.  Fear of falling in a lake, charging of batteries, all that stuff... phooey.  But with a 12" PowerBook usually in the bookbag on more serious days, I suppose neo-luddite posturing must be a bit unconvincing.

Cabby
Friday, July 23, 2004

I like the bound ones with numbered pages. Learnt the hard way in a patent dispute long time back that it is important to have your ideas noted and dated in one.

Code Monkey
Friday, July 23, 2004

I like smaller ones, that sit comfortably next to the keyboard.

I've long wanted something but never found one to buy - a sturdy little platform which would hold a notepad over my mouse and the numeric keypad of the keyboard, but with enough room underneath that I'd be able to use the mouse comfortably.

I find that I want my notepad and my mouse to be in the same spot. Putting the mouse beside the notepad puts it that much farther away from the keyboard, and it's kind of uncomfortable.

If the notepad could go *over* the mousepad, it'd be ideal.

Jon Hendry
Friday, July 23, 2004

Well I never. All my life I have never heard of Moleskine notebooks.

Does anybody know where you can find them retail in the USA (Southern California)? When I Google, I only seem to turn up mail order outlets, and I like to look before I buy things.

Ian
Friday, July 23, 2004

These stores in California carry products by their USA distributer:

http://www.kikkerland.com/cali.htm

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, July 23, 2004

I also vote for engineering pad, mainly because being forced to use it in college has made it a habbit.  One thing that hasn't been mentioned, the lines are 0.2" apart, which is smaller than regular lines paper.  It's large enough to write on every one if you do it neatly, or you can write on every other line if you're writing fast and sloppy.  And you can easily use it as a ruler in a pinch since every fifth line is thicker.

Michael Chansky
Saturday, July 24, 2004

Non-ruled paper to draw mind maps. i've found it to be the most effective way of recording thoughts during a meeting. Always prefer a laptop and mind-mapping tool over paper though.

Karan
Saturday, July 24, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home