Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What are the most underrated tech products?

You know, the ones that you use and love, or see being used, and wonder to yourself "Why the heck isn't everyone using that?"

For me, it's my Vonage VOIP phone and Infocus X1 video projector (for, ahem, business presentations, not watching T2 Extreme Edition), for example. 

Mongo
Thursday, July 22, 2004

* Firefox
* 3x5 index cards and a pencil
* Brain

:-)

Code Monkey
Thursday, July 22, 2004

"pencil"

True. I prefer a Pentel with 0.5 mm HB lead.

And an eraser and that funky green graph paper.

hoser
Thursday, July 22, 2004

Yes, pen and paper notebook. Prefer notebooks lined in gridpaper but they can be hard to find.

Scott
Thursday, July 22, 2004

My Palm Tungsten 3 (the one with the built-in keyboard) has really changed how I use PDAs and notepads.

JWA
Thursday, July 22, 2004

FogBUGZ and CityDesk !  :)

Kent
Thursday, July 22, 2004

EMAIL

Mr. Analogy
Thursday, July 22, 2004

Fisher Space Pens  www.spacepen.com

You've probably heard of them, the whole writes in space, under water, saved Apollo 11 thing.

But their crucial feature is that you can carry them in your pocket and they won't explode.  This makes them easy to carry everywhere you go - the bullet pens are short and blunt so you can put them in any pocket comfortably.

But stay away from the ones with a PDA stylus - I tried them twice and the plastic point kept breaking.

Ward
Thursday, July 22, 2004

"You've probably heard of them, the whole writes in space, under water, saved Apollo 11 thing."

Heh.  The U.S. spent millions to develop the Space Pen.

The Soviet Union gave a pack of Ticonderogas to their astronauts.

Sometimes you really DON'T need high-tech to solve a problem.  :P

Norrick
Thursday, July 22, 2004

A number 2 mechanical pencil, with a nice Staedtler circle template, for drawing DFD's.

Visio, because it can draw almost anything, and yet the automation model it exposes is so clunky no-one has done much with it.

AllanL5
Thursday, July 22, 2004

Norrick: that's an urban legand.  "The US" didn't develop the space pen, Fisher did it all on his own.  All astronauts used pencils before the space, pen, then they all (US and Soviet) switched to the pens.

Ward
Thursday, July 22, 2004

MS BOB

Karthik 
Thursday, July 22, 2004

condom

killerwhale
Thursday, July 22, 2004

source control
automated unit tests

admittedly, not "products" per se...

John C.
Thursday, July 22, 2004

Coffee Grinder

Mark S
Friday, July 23, 2004

>> What are the most underrated tech products?

Our products.

Friday, July 23, 2004

Kimono Microthins.

Clutch Cargo
Friday, July 23, 2004

Notepad. Either pencil and paper kind, or Notepad.exe kind. Both are invaluable.

Nemesis
Friday, July 23, 2004

Miranda IM

Szász Attila
Friday, July 23, 2004

I like the "Brain" answer.

"Book" is good too. Lots of good books out there, but an amazing percentage of people simply don't read. Growing up I was always amzed if I went to a friend's house & they didn't have a dictionary.

I have a Fisher Space Pen. It's pretty cool, got it as a gift. Not the bullet style though.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, July 23, 2004

pussy shaver

Friday, July 23, 2004

Beyond Compare
4NT

People who are experts with the tools they use the most.

schmoe
Friday, July 23, 2004

Cell phone.
Public transport.
Tai Chi.
Banking automation.
Windows, fans (as opposed to air conditioning).
Mouthwash.

Christopher Wells
Friday, July 23, 2004

Borland Delphi :)

Fantastic development environment, equivalent with VS .NET, but without "lots of bugs everywhere"!

X
Friday, July 23, 2004

Combined PDA/cell phone.  (VisorPhone/Visor Prism in my case.)

Electronic piano.  (Not a crappy "keyboard", but a real electronic piano: keys feel real, never needs tuning, and way more portable than a real piano.)

Kyralessa
Friday, July 23, 2004

"Windows, fans (as opposed to air conditioning)."

Wow, I was thinking of posting that one too. REAL AIR(tm) is awesome.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, July 23, 2004

optical mouse

Nix
Friday, July 23, 2004

http://www.jdistro.com/
http://www.jcraft.com/weirdx/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jsh/

http://jdx.sourceforge.net/

Berlin Brown
Saturday, July 24, 2004

The US avoided giving their astronauts pencils because the small shavings emitted by using them could float around the cabin and short out circuits. Or so I heard.

The space pens do come recommended on account of their being usable everywhere and being rather attractive. However, they aren't all that comfortable for very long periods -- they are a bit thin, made out of two parts and thus half hollow when joined together (not quite as solid or balanced as having a single unit), and the ink doesn't flow as freely as even some disposable ballpoints. For day to day use I recommend the clear Bic ones, at 20p or so each.

Tom
Sunday, July 25, 2004

Windev

trollop
Monday, July 26, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home