Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Currently playing song

Hi,

I've noticed a few radio station's websites show the song currently playing on their stations.  These were all in the US.  Also a couple of years ago, Sony released a device which hung off your keyring and had a button.  When you press the button it would record the time and you could later find out from the website, what song was playing when you pressed the button.

I know this is a long shot, but is there anyone here who has worked with this kind of technology (i.e. developed a website for a radio station) and be able to share their knowledge of this technology?  Do all radio stations provide this service?

Thanks.

Furious George
Thursday, July 22, 2004

AT&T Wireless has a similar service called MusicID. You dial a special number, put your phone up to the music for about 15 seconds, then hang up and wait for a message page with the name of the artist and the song.

Derek
Thursday, July 22, 2004

They could just have the playlist, or currently playing song's info, on the website... that's not too complicated.  I have one of those new car radios that if they're broadcasting a certain signal, I can see what the song is on the face of my radio.  Clear channel stations seem to mostly broadcast the signal.

sir_flexalot
Thursday, July 22, 2004

In the UK I have used Shazam.  You phone them and play them a section of the song, and they identify it and text you back.

http://www.shazam.com/

They can identify most things that are played on the radio, and in shopping centres.

Still haven't worked out if they have a really clever program to do it, or just a call centre full of students.

Tom (a programmer)
Thursday, July 22, 2004

"Still haven't worked out if they have a really clever program to do it, or just a call centre full of students."

LOL, I wondered about that too ;-)

Nemesis
Thursday, July 22, 2004

I have read about this in the past and I believe it is a really clever program. Apparently there is a way to generate a unique signature from a few bars of most tunes, allowing the tune to be looked up in a database. As I recall, it can even work if you just hum the tune from memory.

Ian
Thursday, July 22, 2004

http://www.neurosaudio.com/

"Identify songs you hear with our HiSi (Hear it, Save it) technology."

A friend has one; works pretty well.

Captain McFly
Thursday, July 22, 2004

They have students, and all the single guys.

(when I was in high school, your knowledge of song's lyrics seemed to be inversely proportional to how much action one was getting.

Tapiwa
Thursday, July 22, 2004

Nonsense; I hardly knew any song lyrics, and I still got no action.

Kyralessa
Thursday, July 22, 2004

Oh yeah, Neurosaudio have release their source.

I have never looked at it, but there might be something in there.

http://www.neurosaudio.com/store/prod_keyfeat.asp#HiSi

They call it HiSi (Hear It, Save It)

Tapiwa
Thursday, July 22, 2004

Slightly OT, as it's not really technology and is distinct from either of the technologies discussed so far:

I have a friend who had a roommate who worked for a company that identified songs on the radio and reported back to the labels what kind of airplay they were getting.  He would listen to short samples of songs and have to identify them.  Very low tech.

Brian
Thursday, July 22, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home