Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Automation Errors

Where can I get more information regarding automation errors?  We have an exe that hosts an activex control on a form.  The users do not report a problem when launching the form in question - at least none reported so far.  The form that hosts the control is always retained in memory.  The fun part begins when the main application tries to unload the form.  An automation error is reported on Form_QueryUnload event handler.  The event handler calls some methods in the control to clear memory. 

I initially thought this was a compatibility problem, but I have doubts because the control should not load if it were not compatible with the main exe.

Amon
Thursday, July 22, 2004

If the form is being unloaded then the control will be unloaded too, so you don't have to do anything special to free memory.

Wayne
Thursday, July 22, 2004

This needs more detail to get anywhere close.

What kind of errors, what kind of automation?
Is it DCOM, RPC?  Or is the object sitting on the user's machine?

I'd also recommend something like Experts Exchange for this kind of question.

Simon Lucy
Thursday, July 22, 2004

It's error 440.

Going to experts exchange... 

Amon
Thursday, July 22, 2004

That's the standard 'I had an error on an automation object', check the Err object.  If its anything like a reasonable component it will have filled in the method name or property name that failed with probably its own error number.

Simon Lucy
Thursday, July 22, 2004

Experts Exchange sucks - the site come up when Googling for technical answers all the time, but actually seeing the answers page costs money.  There are lots of free resources out there, pass on Experts Exchange.

Allez-Allez
Thursday, July 22, 2004

Does it?
I guess I subscribe but then I get value out of it.

Simon Lucy
Thursday, July 22, 2004

For VB, become a member on VBForums.com. You get answers and nice people too.

KayJay
Thursday, July 22, 2004

Allez-Allez,

I don't believe Experts Exchange costs money to sign up. At least it didn't for me.

The best VB 6 list I am aware of is at:

http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?A0=visbas-l

Seeya
Matthew

mjwills
Thursday, July 22, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home