Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

best thing about IE

I just realised something, I couldnt quite put my finger on it before but the best thing about MS Internet Explorer is the fact that you can highlight a page and everything relevant gets highlighted, including images and form fields in a highly satisfying inverse colour.

I spend hours at work selecting all, or dragging my mouse to highlight and un-highlight different things forming various patterns etc. - and its frustrating when using other browsers there inability to properly highlight!

thought id share that.. thanks.. aku.

aku beg
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

One obscure -perhaps- useful feature is shadowed by a million stupid bugs and security holes... So go ahead and use it if you like.

Btw, what is your IP? Let me take a look at your harddisk some time... :)

IE SUCKS
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

The thing I like best about IE is that I never use it.

Rammalamma Dingdong
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Ok - I'll bite.... my IP is

What's the 3rd file on my drive...?

(And no, I'm not a complete moron, I know why that's not helpful - but it _is_ my IP number...)

Bruce

Bruce Johnson
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

The best thing about IE is Behaviors.

Wayne
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

3rd file?

Depends on how you sort your files you silly billy  ;)

depends
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

sorry, I didn't say if it was from the outside or the inside of the platter.

my personal preference is to number the files from the inside of the platter outwards - but I know another guy who numbers them from the outside... (I mean, talk about a doofus....)

Bruce Johnson
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

his name is Bruce by the way..

aku beg
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Best thing about IE is rendering speed, plain and simple. Still beats Firefox hands down.

Egor
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Egor - have you used Firefox, lately?

I don't notice any significant difference in rendering speed.  In fact, in most XHTML compliant sites, the rendering seems much faster.

muppet
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

The other really good thing about IE is that apparently IE developers don't know a dot from a dash.  A CSS border type of "dotted" consistently gets rendered as dashed in IE, which can really affect the presentation of a site.  The best part of IE's CSS sloppiness is that the spacing and size of the dashes will CHANGE when you scroll the page, merging together, breaking apart, changing size... it's great.

muppet
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Wait a second...

MY ip is 192.168.2.2 !?

Are you inside my computer?

KC
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

"Best thing about IE is rendering speed, plain and simple. Still beats Firefox hands down."

What the hell?  There are still a few reasons to use IE over Firefox (not many left) but rendering speed of Firefox is considerably faster then IE.  It's immediately noticable.

Almost Anonymous
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

The best thing about IE is that most of the sheep out there use it. So if you try going to a web page in your "real" browser and it doesn't load properly (because the designer didn't test it well), you can probably switch to IE and see the page.

Steamrolla
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

I'd like to confirm that I too find FFOX's rendering speed to be much faster than IE.

Too bad I can't use it at work.

ed
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

I use FireFox and have found it not to suck. Individual pages often render faster than IE, but it regularly gets a bit lost and just sits there when I click a link. IE loads faster, and frankly I like the look of it better (toolbars, fonts etc). I'm also about the only person in the world that hates tabbed browsing (move mouse, click task bar, move mouse, click tab... ugh). I like that you can queue pages to read later (I'd love an Explorer sidebar that did this), but I wish each page had its own button in the task bar (feel free to point me to an extension that does this in FireFox).

To be honest, browser wars have always been hyped up. Once a page is open and I'm browsing around, I don't really notice what browser I'm using unless the fonts turn out ridiculously small and ugly (FireFox/Konqueror). In the end, I'm not going to go out of my way to install a new browser on every machine I have to use. They're all basically the same and I've been lucky enough to avoid viruses.

My IP is whatever greatapes.co.uk points at, and you're free to wank around with my IPCop box if you can be bothered. :)

Thom Lawrence
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Best thing about IE is I can use it to surf the internet for other information.  It's a browser.

Sometimes I go to google and use that to search for things I want to know.

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

ed - why can't you use it at work? if it's because you're not allowed to install software, you might be able to download the .zipped version of FF, unzip it, and run it from your desktop or Documents folder or whatever. doesn't require "installation" in the "I need admin rights!" sense of the word.

null fame
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

The "Back" button on IE is AMAZINGLY useful.  When I am on a page and I click a link to go to another page, I can just click the "Back" button to go back to the orginal page.  I'm not sure who invented "going back" but it so convenient.  It was probably Netscape or Microsoft or Xerox.

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

> MY ip is 192.168.2.2 !?

This is from a private IP range. The user with this IP is behind a NAT router and is not directly visible to internet. This means it is significantly more difficult (but in some circumstances possible) to attack the machine.

Anonymous Coward
Thursday, July 22, 2004

Come on Anonymous Coward,

Do people have to put <joke> </joke> tags in their post so that everybody knows its a joke or what?

Steamrolla
Thursday, July 22, 2004

"I don't notice any significant difference in rendering speed.  In fact, in most XHTML compliant sites, the rendering seems much faster."

Does anyone else see a problem with this statement?  You don't notice a significant difference in speed, although one does seem faster than the other?

As we would say on IRC, /me is confused.

JT
Thursday, July 22, 2004

I'm sorry, I didn't have my post professionally editted.  It should read 'I don't notice much difference in speed most times.. but on XHTML compliant sites..."

give me a break.  Are we heavily into bickering about semantics around here, or what?

muppet
Thursday, July 22, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home