Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Mac OS X Tiger

A link in the post about "Searching is not hard" led me to look at what Apple is previewing in the 10.4 release of their OS.  Looks like their rejuvination of NextSTEP is really starting to pay off -- another example of the Joel Principle (Good Software Takes 10 Years)?  Well in this case even a little more -- NextSTEP came out somewhere in the latter part of the 1980s.

Of course this is marketing but it's got me really thinking about getting a Mac at home.

AMS
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

I have four of them at home. Mine, my wife's, and my two sons. They work really well. OS X is really starting to come together.

I still use a PC at work, but I do bring in my Powerbook to have at my side. :-)

Have macs, will travel
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

The only thing keeping me from buying a Mac is Visual Studio and games. Is it viable to compile medium sized MFC apps and run Doom 3 on a Mac under emulation?

RP
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

As far as I know, there will be a native DOOM 3 for OS X.

I converted XP->OS X months ago and unlike Linux (which I used on the Desktop for about 6 months), I'll stick to it.

mostly harmless
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

RP - Virtual PC is currently too slow to really use VS.NET in. I've tried it, and you can open it up and make your way around, but it's clearly too slow to be worth it. There was a lot of hope that MS would be able to get the next version to tap into the native graphics subsystem, spurred on by the desire for backwards compatibility for the Xbox 2, but they've announced that it isn't going to happen.

Too bad though, if I could run VS.NET at normal speeds I'd use a mac for my main desktop too.

--Josh

JWA
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

When I said Doom 3, I meant any game that required the horse power of Doom3. Right now I'm playing Farcry and it's a pretty demanding game - how would it fare under emulation?

And when is Apple going to switch to Intel? So we can dualboot?

RP
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

RP - intensive apps don't fair well under emulation.  And never.

Lou
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Keep the PC, put it on your network and run Remote Desktop Connection from OS X and use it when you need it.

Buy a Netgear router with VPN built in and use racoon and setkey to connect to the VPN from OS X.  I can't believe how much easier setting up a VPN was on OS X using the quirky command line tools, than it was using Netgears own client software.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

If you haven't already, consider moving to a console (XBox) for gaming.  Consoles finally are close enough (and in many ways better) to computers for gaming that making the switch is much easier now.  Since I do most of my gaming on XBox now I don't have to upgrade my computer as much and can buy a Mac if I want.

chris
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

"Is it viable to compile medium sized MFC apps and run Doom 3 on a Mac under emulation? "

You can compile MFC apps in CodeWarrior running native on the Mac, you don't even need the windows emulator.

To run and debug it you'll need either an emulator or a PC with an ethernet connection. You can do remote debugging of the windows executables from your Mac over that network connection.

Dennis Atkins
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Max OS X Tiger is looking really cool.

some of the features ,
• Spotlight based search technology - This is a much publicized LongHorn feature
• Core Image
• Better DVD quality
• Automator - AppleScript based GUI for automating tasks. possible to create a workflow with different applications
• Video Conferencing with iChat
and lot more..

definitely it is not a threat to windows, but it is catching up very well.
But, we have to wait till next year.

anonymous
Thursday, July 22, 2004

[quote]
If you haven't already, consider moving to a console (XBox) for gaming.  Consoles finally are close enough (and in many ways better) to computers for gaming that making the switch is much easier now.  Since I do most of my gaming on XBox now I don't have to upgrade my computer as much and can buy a Mac if I want.
[/quote]

This is true, but in my experience/opinion, not all game types can be successfuly played on a console.
By successfully played, I mean that for me it is not as easy/fun as on a computer.

I cannot imagine playing a Command & Conquer style game on a console.  Plus I prefer to use a mouse to point and shoot.

The Wanderer
Thursday, July 22, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home