Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Robert Kaplan's Balanced Score Card

Has anyone used the Balance Score Card in it's organisation ?

Brian Carmack
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

I haven't heard the name Robert Kaplan.

But I have heard the term 'balanced score card'. We got one every six months at every review.

It was a load of crock, we would be assigned tasks, such as 'read the times magazine every week cover to cover for 6 months'. etc Or the old lady would did the filing had to 'go for a walk every day'.

It bred feelings of resentment, ie I get paid to work here, yet you are trying to implement a system that infringes on my personal time.
As if the workplace was an all-powerful, all-knowledgable, all-knowing that knew more about our personal lives then us. As if our boss had some sort of right to tell us to go join a sporting team etc.

The boss of course  thought he held this kind of role with the staff, and I think he felt it was his right/duty to tell us to do these things. I think he also felt puffed up because he thought we appreciated it!!

Not sure if it is the same balance score card. It had many more sections, but it was that section that stood out in a 'where do you get off' kind of way.

Aussie Chick
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

No Kaplan's  BSC isn't about Balance in your life, it's about evaluating and measuring an organisation or project, not people.

The point of it is to agree and record the metrics relevant to your objective(s), so you have a  meaningful basis for comparison between past, present, and future.

Have heard of it (in night school) but haven't used it.

Tends to be popular with Finance types.

MugsGame
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

http://www.balancedscorecard.org/basics/bsc1.html

Just a personal opinion; the authors claim it's "a new approach to strategic management". 

I'd argue it's an operational tool that could be used to assist with implementing strategic management, if a strategic management system were already in place.

Mongo
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

I used to work for a company that made HR software.  One of our career development products included a performance evaluation module that made use of the balanced scorecard concept.

It is a cool and interesting concept, even if it runs counter to my personal take on career development (augment your strengths to the fullest rather than invest time into things you don't have much aptitude for).  I had great fun working on that project.

www.ChristopherHawkins.com
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home