Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

New mouse, part threux

How the hell do you say three in french?  Anywhoo, I'm the idiot who can't drive a mouse.  I had a mouse questions about making pushing the scroll wheel be a middle mouse button, and followed up with part deux.

So I returned my Logitech mouse because, quite frankly, I hated it and I never got the push-the-wheel-button to work.  Did a new driver download though and saw an option for "middle mouse button".  But it didn't do anything.

So I get a Microsoft.  Sucker was $10 more than I wanted to spend, and it was wireless, which I didn't want.  But they were sold out of the cheap microsofts and I wasn't touching Logitech again.  Get my mouse home, find out it doesn't support Win98, which is what the machine I need it on runs.

AAARG!

So I haul my old mouse out of the trash.  Left mouse button gives 0 to 4 clicks each time I press it, and sometimes makes clicks without my input.  Isn't windows fun, boyz and girlz?  jeeeez.  Due to traffic it's a good hour trip each way to the store during the week, so I'm stuck until saturday.

I still hate my mouse at work, so I haul my new Microsoft mouse there yesterday.  Hooked it up, no middle mouse button.  Nothing in setup called middle mouse button either.  So I walked down the list of events until I found one that did what I wanted, namely act like a middle mouse button.  Not called that, and I would have never recognized it's function from the name.  Something like "run Microsoft Update", I forget.

But after 2 days, I love my microsoft mouse.  This thing is sweet.  Well worth the extra $10.  The wire never bothered me, YMMV.

And a postscript.  Installed Firefox for my wife a few weeks ago.  Tonight I'm showing her the nifty new features.  Got to 'press the scroll wheel'. we get this round dealie with lots of x'd out options.  So I go into mouse setup, find 'middle mouse', and set it to that.  Push the button, still get the round dealie.  Fucking Logitech.

Her mouse is maybe 3 years old, I got it for her when I learned the joys of the scroll wheel myself.  But I ain't buying another Logitech product for a long time.  And I used to be a fan.

Snotnose
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

"How the hell do you say three in french?"

You're joking, right? How the hell did you make it through the 90's without knowing what comes after "menage a ..." ?

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Win98!!
Ew.

Woah
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

I'm convinced that anybody who has driver problems with a Logitech mouse is a retard.  I practically own one of each pointing device Logitech sells, and I've never had a problem with any of them on any operating system.  I can't even begin to imagine what you're doing wrong.

muppet
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Wow.  Five minutes, trois replies.

In case you didn't catch the drift, I highly suspect I had a bad mouse.  If you read part deux you'll see that I never got any action out of that damn button, and I walked down the entire list of events it can trigger.

Then again, my wife thinks I'm special too.  So who am I to argue.

Snotnose
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

>>> I'm convinced that anybody who has driver problems with a Logitech mouse is a retard.  I practically own one of each pointing device Logitech sells, and I've never had a problem with any of them on any operating system.  I can't even begin to imagine what you're doing wrong.

I must be a retard, I've sometimes had problems with Logitech mice.  But I figure, if you work on enough computers - see enough different hardware permutations - you eventually run into problems with almost any driver.  I'm convinced that anyone who makes blanket statements based on limited experience is a retard.

Ward
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

And even if the software's "never" a problem, that doesn't mean their hardware is always perfect.

We tried out a Logitech Cordless Presenter one time.  It was their expensive ($200) solution for speakers giving presentations.  Easier shape to hold, switch to turn off the mouse function, laser pointer, buttons in good locations, and - supposedly - increased range so that you could walk around while talking.

But the range sucked: you could barely get 6 feet away from the base station before the thing lost connectivity.  We ended returning the damn thing and buying a regular $50 Logitech wireless mouse.  That was spec'd as having only 6' of range, but is actually good for about 30.

Ward
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Heh.  If that Logitech cordless is the one I'm thinking of, we had one at an old company.  Wireless, with a gyroscope, the speaker could hold it in their hand as they talked.  And they did.  This damn thing would contantly move the mouse cursor.  And when, during the course of the talk you'd get nervous and, well, push a button, god knows what would happen.

This thing worked exactly as advertised, but was still brain dead.  Not due to technology, but to human factors.

It was still funny as hell though.  I was fortunate enough to get laid off before I had to use it, but I laughed at several people who struggled with it.

Snotnose
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Its twat, with a silent 't'.

Can I say that?  Ah well, I just did.

Simon Lucy
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

"I'm convinced that anyone who makes blanket statements based on limited experience is a retard."

Isn't that a blanket statement?

Steamrolla
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Maybe Ward has unlimited experience?

Aaron F Stanton
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

"I'm convinced" was supposed make it less blankety.

Ward
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

<blanket statement>
Ward's comment was also redundant.  Any true expert would know that there is no such thing as a blanket statement, therefore someone who make a blanket statement must have limited experience. :)
</blanket statement>

Steamrolla
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

and that should be "makes"

Why oh why didn't Word catch that?

Steamrolla
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Anyone who makes blanet statements is a retard.

Better mention nazis, this has been beaten into the ground.  Hmmm... Godwin must be a retard, too.

Ward
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Menage a threux.

Sounds painful.

Alex
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Well I have driver problems with a Logitech mouse, and I am not a retard (at least that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it).

The problem is that I have a laptop with an Alps touchpad device, and the Alps driver has customized the mouse control panel with all the special touchpad options. Now if I install the Logitech software, it will blow away all the Alps configuration options and replace them with all the Logitech configuration options. No good at all.

I did ask once before if anyone knows how to install two different mouse devices _at_the_same_time_ and retain all the custom configuration options in the control panel for both of them, but nobody offered any solutions.

Is there a solution, or is this a Windows limitation?

Ian
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

it's a Windows limitation.  You're SOL.

muppet
Thursday, July 22, 2004

Dunno if/when you'll look at these again, but I found a workaround (solution?) to your scrollwheel problem, as I was having the same problem myself.

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=159431

BTW, this was using the latest version of the Logitech mouse software that I downloaded from their site not 15 minutes ago, "Version: 9.79.1 build 25    Posted:  01/08/2004". This is with an MX700, but I can't imagine the settings being much different for yours than for mine.

Evan Bassett
Monday, August 02, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home