Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Rant:  Can't someone ask a simple question?

Look, maybe I shouldn't get so annoyed.  Maybe Kyralessa's dishwasher thread isn't aimed at me.  Maybe I just haven't had my coffee yet this morning.  Whatever.

We've all gone on and on about free vs. open source vs. pirating vs. outsourcing vs. salad cream and nazis, and I just want to know why people have to attribute motives to a simple question like the one I asked?  I got plenty of great responses, for which I am grateful, but I really didn't feel like announcing to the world why I wanted one.  Why should I have to?

I sure as hell didn't ask for open source.

Didn't specify one way or the other.

I want to know how to write a frickin' plugin, that's all.  If I find an editor I like that happens to costs cash, I'll gladly pay for it.  But my first concern is free ones.  I want to learn.  I want to try my skills.  I know other people will frequently try free ones first, and if they see a plugin I've written, maybe they'll try it out and use it.

For those of you who helped me, once again, I am grateful.  Many thanks.

For those of you who attribute motives to me without asking, bite me.

I'm normally pretty calm, so I apologize.  Might be the lack of caffeine.  But the fact of the matter is that people who leap to conclusions annoy me, and I am particularly annoyed by people who ascribe motives to me that are not my own.

End rant (for now).  Coffee is here.

Aaron F Stanton
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Lots of hatred I sense in you. 
Hmmmmm <grunt>
Powerful is the dark side!
Your mind you should calm. 

Yoda
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

I sense a disturbance in the force.

Obi Wan
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Uhhhh....

Idle hands are the devil's workshop?

Really, really smart people grossly overcomplicate simple things?

The really smart people here on JOS are smart enough to be dangerous? (a fusion of the two tendencies above)

I agree. The most annoying possible response to a simple question is another question, and particularly a question that probes my state of inner zen.

Example exchange between me and another geek a few years ago:

Me: "where is the party?"
Him: "where are you coming from?"
Me: "I know the XYZ area pretty well, I just need an address."
Him: "tell me where you are driving down from."

ARRRRGHHH!!!! ROWWW!!!!

Just some ideas.

Bored Bystander
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

I am not sure about other countries but in the past 10 years the US has turned to diatribe over discussion. 

"You don't agree, you are an idiot."
Not, you may have a point, or let's look at things differently, "YOU - are an idiot." 

I blame this on a few things:
- 24 hours news stations, who feel they need to make news of non-news.  This also means that to be noticed above the background, you need to be outrageous.  Minority extremists now command more time than mainstream America. 
- Poor Political leadership, as they have the most TV time.  In the Clinton vs. Bush bashings the line is now divided not on what an individual believes but on the "my guy."  "My guy provided the best economic upswing in 40 years"  "My guy inherited the Clinton recession"
- Talk radio and unproven allegations.  This is the ability for talk shows to display the wost of humanity as normal, the more outrageous the better, and to take comments completely out of context and report it as news.  I am reminded of the old cliché'  "Is it true you no longer beat your wife?"
- Laziness.  Americans would rather listen to 30 second sound bytes than understand an issue or be forced to support a position.  Screaming is easier because most people do not want to argue with screamers and those who do are not listening anyway.  (My father would say "You can't hear with your mouth open").

If you wish discourse over diatribe we need to stop responding to those people who are no longer making a point.  On the web I think you hear a lot more garbage.  However, you have the option to think of "off topic" remarks as coming from a 10 year old at Dad's keyboard, just trying to make you react.  If more of us ignored them, they go away. 

Anonanonanon
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

"Diatribe Over Discussion" -- excellent phrase.  I've been noticing in the last 10 years or so that people seem to have gotten less able to be convinced by argument -- if they ever were.  Our 'discussion' style has degenerated into bludgeoning ad-hominem attacks, without even an expectation of being convincing.

Myself, I try to maintain an open attitude towards what others are saying, and I believe I can be convinced of things.  The hardest thing to convince me of is that I am wrong about something -- but by 'hard' I mean coming up with the piece of information I had overlooked.  It happens.

And the best thing to do with 'trollers' who only want to raise more sound and fury, with no purpose behind it but to raise sound and fury -- is to let the post quietly lie there.
Hard to do at times, but it helps.

AllanL5
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Right and wrong does not exist for they are purely by-products of judgment. What exists is what works and what doesn't...

Sadly, judgment is pretty subjective. Therefore, morals don't always work. Some morals even conflict with each other. I wonder why we even have them since some of them are very screwed up anyway.

If something works for you, go ahead and do it. If not, then don't do it.  Another nice thing about this is that what works for you doesn't have to work for someone else; and neither one of you is wrong!  :)

Abandoning 'right/wrong' scheme would help us all if we could just do it... Stupid endless discussions would cease to exist as well since neither side would be trying to convienve the other to follow their way. People tend to do what works for them anyway.

samurai
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

"Abandoning 'right/wrong' scheme would help us all if we could just do it"

Yeah, let's just throw out all our laws regarding murder, theft, etc. We'd be *so* much better without them.

Buddy Jasper
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

" Yeah, let's just throw out all our laws regarding murder, theft, etc. We'd be *so* much better without them. "

Well, you have to consider what leads to murder and theft. Without digging as deep as it goes and figuring out what caused it all (childhood problems, bad parenting, whatever), you'll never be able to "solve" these problems. The laws will put these people in prisons which is ironically how we deal with our garbage and the dead, and eventually we'll run out of space for the decent people to live.

Do you think we are really solving anything by doing what we are doing?  What we are doing doesn't work for me. It seems to be getting worse if anything. Glad to hear it works for you, Buddy jasper. 

samurai
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Sounds like you want to be a social worker, samurai. Go for it!

Buddy Jasper
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

There is this studio that makes cheesy bad movies. One of which is surf nazis must die. Your post makes me think they need a sequel: salad cream nazis must die. Or, toxic avenger fights the salad cream nazis! I like troma movies, they are so bad, they come out the other side of terrible and are funny.

Peter
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

"...they are so bad, they come out the other side of terrible and are funny."

I've got to remember that phrase.

Aaron F Stanton
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

I think everyone wants to be the guy that pokes holes in someone's position.  They want to be that guy so bad, they try to poke holes in things that you say that aren't really a position at all.

(sigh)

Day-o, Daaay-o.
Daylight come, Obe Wan go home!

sir_flexalot
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

No way. Not *everyone*! I for one am not just sitting here waiting to poke holes in ... oh wait...never mind.  :)

sgf
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Aaron, you may be in a heavy metal band, but still no one assumes "This is Spinal Tap" is about you until you get furious and stalk out in the middle of it.

Kyralessa
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Kyralessa, I was simply noticing the similarity and proximity of your post to mine.  That combined with the annoying replies I got to my question (and likely the lack of coffee) made me suspect it had been aimed at me.

My apologies if I was mistaken.  Was I?

Aaron F Stanton
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

No!

Kyralessa
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Didn't think so.

Go back and read the line at the start of this thread for people who attribute motives to me without asking.

'Nuff said.  I'm over it now.

Aaron F Stanton
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Good for you, Aaron.

As a good friend of mine once told me, "Anger is a wasted emotion."

(And no, his name wasn't Spock :-)

Java Dude
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Now I know I'm really somebody on this board; I've been impersonated.  *sigh*

Kyralessa
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Kyralessa, you don't need to be impersonated on this board to know you're somebody.

I been telling people 'You are SOMEBODY!' for years !!

Jesse Jackson
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home