Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

rant: HP iPAQ comparison

I've been looking for a good PDA for a long time.

Many models seem to be targeted at the people who want to "have fun" - take pictures, play MP3s, etc.

I want a PDA because I want to work with it: I need bluetooth, a large memory, etc. I don't want a damn photo camera on it!

So after some research I decided to get an iPAQ.

The problem is, I have to choose a model.. so I went to the HP site. Only 5 models are described there, and the differences between them are not clear at all, even when using the Compare function.

Also, if I go to Amazon.com, I find other models of iPAQ which don't appear on the HP site!

Why can't HP provide a table with all models, with simple rows, such as:

- Has Bluetooth
- Has Infrared
- Memory available to user
- etc.

for ALL models currently on the market?

In general, why don't companies allow customers to easily compare their products?

The problem is much worse for Nokia. Lots of phones on the site.. but you can't tell it "hey, I want to see all phones with Bluetooth and EDGE support".

Also, the site won't show you a table with phone features clearly spelled out. The tables they show and the online tools they offer on the site seem to be targeted at people who know very little about mobile phones.

I have nothing against helping people who aren't very knowledgeable in the field. But, the company should also provide information for people who ARE knowledgeable and know exactly what they are looking for.

In the case of Nokia, I can understand this somewhat, but what about the iPAQ?

Why don't they show a table with all technical characteristics of all models currently on the market, so I can read it and, in 15 minutes, choose the model I want without hours of painful research on the web?

MX
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

completely OT: considered a P900?

i like i
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

As is always the case these days, manufacturer websites are great for overviews and cool pictures, but not real data.

I still hit up cnet.com when I'm not sure what I want to buy. http://reviews.cnet.com/4502-3127_7-0.html?tag=dir.allm&qt= is a good start point for handhelds, be it Windows-based, Palm, or otherwise.

I just use cnet to find the product - then I google the product name for a range of reviews.

Greg Hurlman
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Palm Tungsten T3:

Awesome screen (480x320, portrait/landscape, color)
Bluetooth
63 MByte memory
SD card slot
built-in mp3 player
one-button voice recorder (perfect for collecting information on the go)

TONS of software.

Seriosly, take a look at this one.

Kobi
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Try shopping.com to find your products.

They will allow you to compare products.  You may try this link if it works.

http://www.shopping.com/xSBS-PDAs~PG-1~NCP-3~PRDLT-20815372-21323544-21365083

JD
http://jdk.phpkid.org

JD
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

I think that the one of the best comparison charts I've seen is the Model Selector on the Mercedes US site.

One axis is model lines and the other is price and they show the cars as data points. I mean, that's basically what you want to know: I have $x, what Mercedes can I buy?

Bill Tomlinson
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Don't even get me started about the morons who run the HPShopping site

Last Novembver I spent a lot of time configuring a $1500+ laptop and then proceeded to checkout. Entered my credit card info....pressed the buy button....boom...I am thrown back to the initial configuration screen again.  Confused I looked up my shopping cart...empty.  Maybe some glitch so I repeat the whole process ....again same thing!

At this point I do not know if I have ordered none, one or two laptops!  So I write an email to their customer service asking them to please check what happened. I get a form reply back saying it will be "looked at in 24 hrs". Till date nothing from them.

Atleast my credit card was not charged or anything so I let it go....making a note to never order anything from their site again. Their loss. And they wonder why Dell beats them!

Code Monkey
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/

I haven't been to the site for a month or so and I see they've made some changes...  When I last used it, they had detailed reviews, it looks like they still have them, broken down into useful sections: current Palm models, older Palms, current Clie, older ones, Pocket PCs by what OS they run, Linux PDAs, etc.

I'm saving for a Palm T3 myself...

Ward
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

If you want to get a PDA to work on, why are you getting a PocketPC instead of a Palm?  The whole point of getting a PocketPC is the multimedia crap.  Whereas you can do Word and Excel docs on a Palm OS machine...

Kyralessa
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

iPAQ's are a nicer design. Whether it is worth paying the premium over a Palm (remembering the OS takes up more of your memory) is a matter of debate.

Stephen Jones
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

My HP iPAQ 1340 regulary freezes when I use bluetooth. I don't know if it is a buggy hardware of software but certainly if I were buying a PDA myself with bluetooth support I would be looking for something else.

Ilya Martynov
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home