Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Borland InterBase 6

Does any of you on this forum have any experience with the opensource database Borland Interbase 6 ?

How is the scalability? Can it handle the same load as SQLServer?

Does it work out in the long run?

If the you had the option, would you use it instead of SQLServer? Instead of Oracle?

The project can be found here http://sourceforge.net/projects/interbase .

Jesper F.
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

We have used Interbase 5.6 and 7.0. Although Interbase is pretty good, it does NOT perform as well as SQL Server or Oracle under heavy loads. We used Interbase for many years and it worked well for us, but we have moved to SQL Server and Oracle because they are simply more powerful. If you want to handle something with light to medium loads, it is quite good. The stored procedure/trigger  language is good (although lacking a number of functions that the other databases have). Its lack of incremental backups makes it difficult to use on really large databases.

fear of reprisal
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Take a look at Firebird project www.ibphoenix.com. It started from Borland Interbase 6 open source.

I worked with Firebird for 3 years. Database size was 100mb - 2Gb. It performed quite good. The best peformance is on Linux (in Firebird classic server mode)

You could check also IBExpert tool www.ibexpert.com. Its the best admin-develop tool for Firebird/Interbase

P.S
  Interbase/Firebird has very easy and powerfull stored procedure and triggers language

IJ
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

The FirebirdSQL Database is the one you want to look at - it's basically a maintained and updated version of Borland Interbase.  I've used Firebird - it's a good mid-range database.  Fully-featured, easy to install.  You can go to the links above, I think the project main page is  http://www.firebirdsql.org/  .  Paid support is available from IB Phoenix.

I haven't used SQL Server, but I have used Oracle.  It really depends what you need - Oracle scales better than Firebird, but is much more expensive, harder to install, and has a tendency to take over your system.

It really just depends on your needs.  Oracle is good high-end DB - Firebird is a good mid-range DB.

One of the Matts
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Another vote for Firebird.  My favorite feature of Firebird is the embedded version, where you can have full database connectivity by just including one DLL with your program.  If you later need to connect to the full version of the database server, that same DLL you already deployed will work as the client library--you just need to give it a different path to the database.  This makes it easy to scale from a small program running on a client computer up to a big multiuser system running on a powerful database server.

Kevin
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

I have used Interbase 6 with DB's up to about 600mb. I have not yet upgraded to Firebird but I would recommend using Firebird 1.5 above Interbase 6. I have found that with Interbase 6 you might need to speed a bit more time optimising queries compared to SQL-Server, but once done it runs very quickly.

Craig
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

If I recall correctly, Interbase 7 has some threading improvements that are not yet in Firebird.  Perhaps someone else here remembers the details better than I do...

John Rusk
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home