Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Free program to wash my dishes

Does anybody know of a free, preferably open-source program that will wash my dishes for me?  It needs to be able to put away clean dishes out of the dishwasher, put the dirty dishes in, and then manually wash the dishes that aren't dishwasher-safe.  It would be especially great if it could put in the detergent and start the wash by itself, and/or if it could scrub the sink clean after the manual wash is done.

Kyralessa
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

OMFG stop destroying the economy!!  The Maytag man needs to feed his 17 children!!

muppet
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

I want to invent a dish washer that's compatible with my cabinet system. Just pull out the tray & swap it whatever's in the cabinet, and poof. No having to empty the dishwasher.

My alternate plan is to get 2 dishwashers & use them this way. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm also going to hire a foreign maid for 1/3 the price of a local one.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Thats how people use those dual drawer dish washers. the top one gets run and you put your dirty dishes in the bottom one then once the top one is empty you run the bottm one and start putting dirty dishes in the top one.

I quite like the idea.

Chris Ormerod
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

I get all my dishes washed off-shore.

Jack of all
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Kyralessa, you could check out Spouse 1.0...

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Kid v0.7 also helps.

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

"I'm also going to hire a foreign maid for 1/3 the price of a local one."

Don't get so smug about being such a generous employer.

Ged Byrne
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Philo,

That's exactly what mine did.

[I have so many typos because I'm wearing rubber gloves]

Ged Byrne
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

>Does anybody know of a free, preferably open-source program that will wash my dishes for me?

No problems. you can do it with simple script:

# python
for dish in dishes:
    dish.wash()

now.... execute it!

Max Belugin (http://belugin.newmail.ru)
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Get one of the commercial versions.

Google for "servant".

Stephen Jones
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

I'm sure Apache have got an open-source J2EE project for this and eventually they'll be a JSR and it'll get incorporated into the platform.

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

In my days we used to walk 15 miles barefoot in the snow just to wash our dishes.

RP
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Get an iDish. Sure, it will cost you your kids college funds, but the rates on that second morgatge are pretty attractive right now, and under the hood it is just an Electrolux like al the others, but let's be honest, can you really afford NOT to have that cool blue Apple logo pulsing in the back of your kitchen?

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Can you damn specify what brands, sizes, colors and materials you dishes are? If you don't tell any specifics, how do you expect others to help you?

Egor
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Why have cabinets? Just have three dish washers, keep one empty, the other filled with just dirty and the third with the clean you are currently using.

Jeff
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Me, I'd just to look at the internals of the dishwasher so I can build my own.  That darn spinny thing is annoying, but I think it's just the water pressure and curves that makes it spin.

What I really want to know is how some of those new fangled ones detect the shape and positioning of the dishes for optimal cleaning.  Now that's cool.

Aaron F Stanton
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Do you have an open source dishwasher to do that?

RP
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Hey, Kyralessa's the one who specified open source, not me.

Aaron F Stanton
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

"Why have cabinets? Just have three dish washers, keep one empty, the other filled with just dirty and the third with the clean you are currently using."

OK, I know I'm going to regret asking this, but what's the empty one for?

Jim Rankin
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Swap space.

Aaron F Stanton
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Use paper plates and cups and throw them away when you are done.

name withheld out of cowardice
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

No, burn them.

Aaron F Stanton
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

My dad used to tell a story which I can't remember all the details. For some the plates were nailed down to the table and they used dogs to clean them.

Why not make the whole kitchen a dishwasher. Make everything waterproof and just leave the plates out.

MilesArcher
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Why wash ANY dishes??? Hint: can opener

Dino
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Sorry about that, the third empty one is for when one is washing dishes, the other has clean items in it and you need to put your dirty dishes somewhere.

Jeff
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Like I said...swap space.

Aaron F Stanton
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

>> the other has clean items in it

Do kitchens these days not have any shelves/racks/cupboards?

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

My swap space is the dinner table.

Tapiwa
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

If dishwashers are open source, the theory is they would be cheaper then cabinets. With a three dishwasher method, you place a counter top on it, buy a range with a microwave above it, get a fridge with water and ice despenser, and you kitchen is complete. See by using open source you have killed several industries:

Cabinet Makers (well they can make the one counter top you need)
Kitchen Sink Manufacturers
Hand Dishwashing supply makers
Dish & Bowl makers (they will not be gone but because of easy washing fewer will be needed)

Then think about the real estate hit, with a kitchen taking up so much less space because of the lack of cabinets your high value real estate area is diminished. Now if bathrooms can be made open source a home would be dirt cheap to build.

Jeff
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Dishes?...Take out.

sgf
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Hmm...I guess real open source would be a forest, an axe, and a river.  Now go "make" a house.  The river is your dishwasher.

$make house
make: *** No rule to make target 'house'.  Stop.

Dang.

(I frequently wonder if a sleepy Sun developer tried telling his computer to "make java" and got that kind of a reply...so they wrote a makefile...and it just grew from there.)

Aaron F Stanton
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Dishes?  Get a woman, you big girlie man...

Chris Peacock
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home