Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

specify From: address?

I have my own domain and tend to set up lots of aliases that redirect email to a single account.  for example, slashdot@mydomain.com and resume@mydomain.com both get delivered to steve@mydomain.com. 

The problem I'm having is that sometimes I need to reply to a message and make it appear to come from the alias it was sent to.  Since the message gets delivered to steve@mydomain.com the receiver will see my reply and know my real account info (which is typically only given out to friends). 

Anyone know of a mail reader/plugin that will allow me to specify the From: address for an individual message?

Steve H
Monday, July 19, 2004

You can do this in Outlook. Set up multiple accounts, each with different From addresses. Then when you reply to a message, select which account you're sending from.

Management material
Monday, July 19, 2004

I do this in thunderbird. Just create multiple email accounts in the account section.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, July 19, 2004

I do this in Eudora. Just create multiple email accounts in the account section.

Almost Anonymous
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Also in Pegasus Mail.

I just can't always remember WHAT address I used for a particular website.  YOur method is a great idea.

Mr. Analogy
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

ditto for outlook express

dude
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Pegasus Mail : Now that is a blast for the past. The DOS version was the first mail client that I ever used! Our school ran a Mercury Mail server, whose client was Pegasus Mail.

Mercury Mail ran on Novell. When they were using 3.1, there was a Security flaw that we descovered that enabled us to read anyone's mail, and send mail from anyone.  Man, thoughs days were fun.

Gary van der Merwe
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

With The Bat!, you can edit the From line directly (or set up macros to pull it from the message you are repplying to - but in that case you will need to be careful about multiple recipients/bccs etc)

Tim Sharrock
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

The multiple account solution also works fine with The Bat!

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

FastMail's email service (www.fastmail.fm) will do this.  You can type in the from address on the fly, or create prefabbed
'personalities' in advance.  They offer free accounts. 

I'm not suggesting you permanently move and use their service for all your email needs.  Just use the service when you need to create a unique from address.

josReader
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

I use the previously mentioned trick in OE of specifying multiple accounts. I usually give them the name of the address with "(Send Only)" appended so I never attempt to receive from them. I also put in a dummy receive domain so if I accidentally try to receive from that account it will just fail.

Another tip: For your default account (which sets up the initial From address), put a dummy domain for SMTP so it will fail if you ever try to send from it. That will force you to always pick the address you're sending from. If you don't, it won't get sent, and you'll remember then to fix the problem by specifying which From address.  This will prevent you from ever accidentally sending from the wrong address.

Alternatively, if you're good at remembering such things, put a public address as the default account and then you can substitute your private address as needed. That way if you do forget it's no big deal, as you don't care about friends accidentally getting your public address as much as the opposite.

Some Ranting Idiot
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home