Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Lowest Common Denominator

I just want to get something off my chest.

I'm working for a fairly large organisation and we're getting new hardware. Which is great, but I know with a crushing inevitability that the department responsible for setting the boxes up will have made a complete hash of it. I'm talking about things like TFT screens running below their native resolution, colour depth set to below maximum, virtual memory set to the wrong amount for the installed RAM. Debris scattered over the hard drive from botched installations done on the image master machine. Why are these people so hopeless at what they do? Why do they take so little pride in their work? Is it the same elsewhere?

Thanks for listening.

Cloaking Device On
Monday, July 19, 2004

It's called cookie-cutter setup because of the high volume of machines they must turn around. They'll do one setup and then use ghost to clone that one setup onto every other machine. It takes mere minutes per machine.

If you had to do 10 or 12 a day you couldn't take the time for anything more than that yourself. To do right by everyone they would need to spend a couple hours per person, but then the roll-out would take weeks or months.

old_timer
Monday, July 19, 2004

Yes. It is.

They don't take pride in their work, because they aren't any good at it. Big organisations aren't interested in hiring above average people. They *SAY* they are, because they all think they're something special. However they always end up, given the choice, hiring cheap, instead of good.

I currently work for a small company. While I was joining it I mentioned sorting out references for my employer. "Oh don't worry about things like that," he said, "If you're not any good we'll notice soon enough...."

Big companies aren't like that. You can get away with being shite for years. Proper people get driven away because they can't stand that attitude and the company hierarchy sinks into mediocrity...

Katie Lucas
Monday, July 19, 2004

Yep, same here. We just had a 21" LCD fitted to a machine that:

1. Has a video card that can't support its 1600x1200 native resolution.
2. Is used one month a year. The rest of the time it just sits in the corner.

Meantime I'm working full time at a desk barely big enough for the CRT connected to my five year old Celeron.

Caveat
Monday, July 19, 2004

Sigh...

At my #@%( company the secretaries and security guards get LCDs and fast computers.

The engineers end up with 5 year old machines.

Arrrrrrgh!!!

Mtl_Dev
Monday, July 19, 2004

Annoying. to be honest though, if someone claimed to be passionate about / take pride in corporate IT installations I'd probably refer them to a psychiatrist ;-)

They're probably not being paid that great and if they were actually smart and motivated they'd probably be smart and motivated enough to be doing a job less mind-numbingly tedious...

Matt
Monday, July 19, 2004

Cloaking - will you be able to fix things (I ask in hope), or do they have you locked out of changing anything?

If you're able to fix it, that might actually be better for you since you'll be able to make it the way you want it.....

Lisa
Monday, July 19, 2004

It's called "You can be a computer systems and networking administrator - high paying jobs are available. No experience necessary - we will train you."

Did I ever tell you about the time they moved our cubicle & my computer wouldn't boot for 2 days? Turns out they plugged the ZIP drive in to the wrong port.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, July 19, 2004

Welcome to "and they wonder why they are being outsourced" land.

In my earlier company the IT guys would just close trouble tickets quietly after a couple of days without any solution in sight and when I complained about this practice once asked me to open a new ticket to log my complaint! 

Code Monkey
Monday, July 19, 2004

Lisa,

Fortunately I can change it, and the graphics card is powerful enough to drive the monitor at maximum colour depth and its native resolution. I guess that's something!

Cloaking Device On
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

It's not always the same. A lot depends on what the attitude is towards the sysadmins. There  is a definite attitude among developers that sysadmins are some kind of jumped-up glorified electrician, and of course with that attitude you're going to get precisely that.

Stephen Jones
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home