Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

For Searching Outlook, X1 Rocks (Lookout Gone)

I feel the same way about X1 that Joel feels about Lookout (http://radio.weblogs.com/0118865/categories/softwareFeatures/2003/10/10.html#a191).  And X1 is still available for purchase, at $99 (www.x1.com).

Erik Neu
Monday, July 19, 2004

I tried Lookout, but it hard crashed every time I asked to put its index files on the same hard drive where my email lives. I was going to report the problem on their tech support board, but they wanted me to set up a login account, so I emailed it instead.

Anyway, the price point on X1 is too high. It costs as much as Outlook itself -- $100.

Of course, given how great this feature would be if it worked, it might even be worth it.

R Tate
Monday, July 19, 2004

I made something like this (as a product for my company -- with cache and web front-end and all) for Office structured documents except that you can define even more complex search criteria (e.g.: select only presentations with references to Slide X in presentation Y, regex matching, etc).  It's a handy sort of thing to have.

Related to this, I did some stuff with searching message stores through MAPI and the native search API built into MAPI seems to perform pretty well with Outlook.  You can even get it to do regular expression matching and arbitrary boolean expression matching across tons of (public and hidden) fields.  That might account for the slowness that Joel's talking about.  A simple text index will make particular kinds of searches really fast while making (say) regex searches impossible (unless you can fall back on the other search technique).  It's really a failing of Microsoft's implementation of the MAPI interface that something like X1 is necessary.  I'd expect them to make a special case for 'simple' criteria in one of their next implementations of Outlook.

Kalani
Monday, July 19, 2004

Well, MS has legal troubles all the time over email, backups and correspondence which conveniently disappears during "discovery." Cringley has some articles about this. I suspect the simplest excuse for why Lookout is now gone has more to do with making discovery harder for folks sueing MS.

Peter
Monday, July 19, 2004

Couldn't it also be a step of MS trying to force people to upgrade to longhorn, since it would have built in searching capabilities?  If people can still use Lookout, why would they upgrade?

Dan
Monday, July 19, 2004

I concede that $100 is pricey, but it is worth it (especially since my employer pays). X1 works great, exceeds expectations. I should have added, it has some other good indexing capabilities: it indexes files, including network drives; and also indexes attachments within emails.

They offer a 14-day trial.

Erik Neu
Monday, July 19, 2004

Maybe you want to use Synopsis instead. It's more than a mail search engine. You can search local files, mails, add rss feeds, google searches and your own memos to your knowledge bases. And with our Pro version you can even search within the local network. We offer a HOME Edition for only €29.00 - www.mind-breeze.com/de/buytry.html

There is only one thing, we ship the current version in german ui only, but it's easy to work with, and if anyone wants, i'll supply a short english manual. In October we'll ship the next version with significant improvements.

Andy
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Lookout shows up on microsoft.com:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=09b835ee-16e5-4961-91b8-2200ba31ea37&displaylang=en

Tim Tabor
Thursday, July 22, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home