Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

I am boring myself to tears

I am going to have a lot of free time in the next months. While my company doesn't have another programming gig, I'm looking after a couple of unix boxen that have been around since Jesus walked the Earth (and he was a vi man, btw).

I thought studying might be a good idea, so I began to read xulplanet's xul tutorials, but I just can't keep myself awake. Should I surrender to the old saying that goes "The less you do, the less you wanna do" or what?

Please, some insight on how to keep myself motivated and focused.

LMAO
Monday, July 19, 2004

You mean you have a chance to learn that new platform you've been hearing so much about (whatever it is) on the company dime, and you're asking us what to do?  (=

Sheesh.  I dunno, try Python, or learn how to do TDD, or something.  Those are both fun.

Sam Livingston-Gray
Monday, July 19, 2004

Yeah, the problem is breaking away from the swamp. It's like I just can't do anything else.

LMAO
Monday, July 19, 2004

Get yourself a woman.

Monday, July 19, 2004

Well, Steve Pavlina's articles help encourage me ...

http://www.dexterity.com/articles/

(Look under the "Personal Productivity & Motivation" section).

Other than that, if you can find a group (either locally or online) that you can do a book club, or some development with, it sure beats trying to motivate yourself on your own.

One of the Matts
Monday, July 19, 2004

Find some kind of personal project that gives you an excuse to learn whatever new technology you want to learn. You're getting paid to play -- take advantage of it!

John C.
Monday, July 19, 2004

I agree with John C.

Necessity - not boredom - is the mother of invention. Create a reason to learn something new.

Tell us what piece of software you're going to deliver to us in 2 weeks time using that new technology.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, July 19, 2004

Learn a new language.

No, I mean a spoken language.  Or a written one like Latin or something.  The Cambridge Series is really good for DIY Latin learning:

http://www.cambridgescp.com/latin/start_latin/view_textbook/sl_vt_intro.html

Alternately, learn the history of Turkey.  Or learn the technology behind the Space Shuttle.

In sum, take the time to learn something that has nothing to do with computers and will have no conceivable practical application at any time in the future.

You'll feel like a human being again.

Kyralessa
Monday, July 19, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home