Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Has anyone used the product TestComplete?

What are your thoughts?  Can you setup individual unit tests somewhat similar to a NUnit/JUnit/CppUnit?

We have a large-scale Win32/MFC application, and we'd like to start incoporating some automated regression tests to keep everything in check. Any insight on this product or similar products would be greatly appreciated.

Looking for Testing Solutions
Sunday, July 18, 2004

I have, it is pretty good.  It does the running of test pretty well automating the ui with a reasonable amount of polish.

I haven't had a chance to set it up as a set of tests thus far, I have been using it for another purpose right now.

I would advise the use of it's evaluation period, it is a reasonably solid gui automater.

Colin
Sunday, July 18, 2004

Parasoft Corporation makes a range of testing tools.

For JUnit see Jtest
For nUnit see .TEST

http://www.parasoft.com

Evaluation downloads are available.

Parasoft Employee
Monday, July 19, 2004

Yes -  we used an earlier avatar (AQTest I think it was called at the time) to automate the UI testing af a large simulation system.

It was very succesful and saved our testing peoples sanity, or at least partly restored it.

The tough part was re-writing the tests when the UI changed, though I  guess this is a problem for any UI testing tool.

theWeasel
Monday, July 19, 2004

I've built a framework/architecture for WinRunner that minimizes code updates when the GUI changes. This has been tested and is part of our current production QA process. I would like to make it a bit more agnostic though so that it may work with other vendor's tools.
I've been meaning to take a look at TestComplete but haven't had the time... Sounds compelling if it does what they claim at that price point!

Kevin Barnes
Monday, July 19, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home