Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Sun throws in the towel

Call it what you will, these are the death thralls of a dying company:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1738&e=17&u=/zd/131671

Perhaps the most outlandish move in Sun's consumer branding push in the mobile device space is its sponsorship of an upcoming television series in Europe.... Shows will feature programs like the ringtone remixing package Sun President and Chief Operating Officer Jonathan Schwartz showed off in his keynote at JavaOne last month, "as well as offer unusual items such as a look at the social phenomenon of text dating," according to a Gamer.tv press release.

Dennis Atkins
Saturday, July 17, 2004

But Scott McNealy is rich, so what does he care?

M. Night Shammalamma
Sunday, July 18, 2004

Hey Night, what's next after the sham biography? Any new thrillers in the works?

Dennis Atkins
Sunday, July 18, 2004

Cool to hear Dennis. Let the record show that you called it first.

anon-y-mous cow-ard
Sunday, July 18, 2004

there are some really smart people working at sun and they are doing some interesting things, but they are taking a beating in hardware (solaris losing out to linux) and software (LAMP instead of Java) so its hard to say how they are going to genrate cash!

Are they going to be a hardware company or a software company or a services/ subscription company or a hybrid model?

That Jonathon Schwartz is trying to do some interesting things but looks more like market research for all the other companies.

Prakash S
Sunday, July 18, 2004

business week has a big Sun feature

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_30/b3893001_mz001.htm

My predictions:
Look for the board to get rid of McNealy this year and the stock to rebound to about $10 as the company gets some much needed direction.  Also out with McNealy Johnathon Schwartz according the the article he is smart but alienates people too much.

will
Sunday, July 18, 2004

> there are some really smart people working at sun

I agree!

> and they are doing some interesting things

I agree!

> but they are taking a beating in hardware (solaris losing out to Mac OS X)

I agree!

> and software (LAMP instead of Java)

True dat!

> so its hard to say how they are going to genrate cash!

How they gonna do it no one knows.

What. Is. Their. Plan.
?

> Are they going to be a hardware company or a software company or a services/ subscription company or a hybrid model?

Beats me, I bet they do neither! Maybe they will start to mak0e TV shows about text messaging! do you think they might do this?

> That Jonathon Schwartz is trying to do some interesting things

I'm sorry, I didn't follow you there.

> but looks more like market research for all the other companies.

True dat.

Dennis Atkins
Sunday, July 18, 2004

http://blogs.sun.com/jonathan

President & COO os Sun. There are some interviews of his on ITConverstions.com

Prakash S
Sunday, July 18, 2004

See what I am talking about - there he is using that darn monitize word AND commoditization on the same page!!!

He is stealing my schitick!

But he's doing it wrong - he says software development is not a commodity, and then on the same page he says we gotta do open source. Hello Scott! Hello!

You mentioned there's a lot of smart folks at Sun. It's true. I know a few of them.

I think this guy is squandering the best years of their lives. I do not think Scott is very bright. A lot of what he says does not make sense. His dumb ideas are blowing the amazing potential of his employees.

Dennis Atkins
Sunday, July 18, 2004

Er I guess I mean jonathan. Ah dang I am confused I thought Scott was the president. Which one is the dumb one -both of them? I need a card to keep track of the players.

Darn it - look at the LIE on top of his w ebx log claiming that the Mars Rover is runing an Java. That is utter bullshit! The little app they use for planning routes is written in java - you can even download it.

It is a piece of crap that crashes constantly.

Dennis Atkins
Sunday, July 18, 2004

Can you BELIEVE the doublespeak example he gives of how software is not being commoditized - he names a piece of software that trounces its competitors because it is being given away free by Sun after spending millions developing it! Hello! jonathon! It is a commodity example - you di d that yourself! Don't you remember? Were you drunk???

Dennis Atkins
Sunday, July 18, 2004

reminds me of one paul graham article (don't know the name) where  oracle puts an ad saying Viaweb runs on Oracle. The only place oracle was used in viaweb was for accounting....

pimpin ain't easy :-)

Prakash S
Sunday, July 18, 2004

Man he's just rambling on and it doesn't make any sense. Also, serious 12 errors in his HTML which doesn't render properly anyway.

Dennis Atkins
Sunday, July 18, 2004

Sun - we put the dot in polka-dotted horsey.

Dennis Atkins
Sunday, July 18, 2004

If Sun plays their cards right, they could so some offshoring work for Infosys or Tata.

Sunday, July 18, 2004

Prakash:

"During the Bubble, Oracle used to run ads saying that Yahoo used Oracle software. I found this hard to believe, so I asked around. It turned out the Yahoo accounting department used Oracle."

http://www.paulgraham.com/gfaq.html

Matthew Lock
Sunday, July 18, 2004

The problem (not only with Sun, but with all companies) is that the Board of Directors is nothing but a Good Ol' Boys club.  I'll scratch your back and you scratch mine.  I'll sit on your board and pay you millions, and you'll sit on my board and pay me millions.  And if your arrogance/stupidity drives the company into the ground, so what, we still get to keep all those millions we paid ourselves.

That's the problem:  If Sun goes belly-up, Scott McNealy is still rich.

If he knew that he would have to give back all those millions that Sun has paid him over the years, he wouldn't been such a bonehead.

M. Night Shammalamma
Sunday, July 18, 2004

"During the Bubble, Oracle used to run ads saying that Yahoo used Oracle software."

Microsoft uses to run ads touting websites that did all sorts of cool stuff using Active-X.  Then somebody did some checking and found that all the animation and other "neat stuff" was mostly old technology like animated GIFs and CGI scripts.

M. Night Shammalamma
Sunday, July 18, 2004

thanks Matthew ...

Prakash S
Sunday, July 18, 2004

"Hey Night, what's next after the sham biography? Any new thrillers in the works?"

Just for you Dennis, I whipped out a new movie - check it out next week:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368447/

M. Night Shyamalan
Sunday, July 18, 2004

I wonder if he movie is a cool as his name?

Wolf Blitzer
Sunday, July 18, 2004

Sun should open a cloth line featuring printing technology and invest USD$500,000,000 in Hewlett Packard's Printing Division and call Issey Miyake to go work there with a bunch of guys from MIT's Oxygen program. In short, they should do something really crazy, really crazy for nice.

Nothing they do has been any more than slight incremental revolutions.

Li-fan Chen
Monday, July 19, 2004

For those completely baffled by what I just said, try this article (Oxygen: http://oxygen.lcs.mit.edu/Overview.html) and this article (APOC: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.04/miyake_pr.html)

Li-fan Chen
Monday, July 19, 2004

> In short, they should do something really crazy, really crazy for nice.

In short, they should do something really crazy, really crazy for once. (even)

Li-fan Chen
Monday, July 19, 2004

I agree that as long as they are going to blow it it would be far better to do it in a really crazy and fun manner that maybe even has some remote chance of success rather than this frantic random boring craziness that is not very interesting or fun.

Dennis Atkins
Monday, July 19, 2004

Night,

IIRC, McNeely is one of Sun's founders and got his dough from selling stock, not being paid by Sun. He also probably made millions from options grants. All of which cost are born by the investors, not the company itself. So, he shouldn't be paying back the company, only the stockholders.

MilesArcher
Monday, July 19, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home