Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Joel Book

Where is the pre-order link? :)

Camilo Telles
Friday, July 16, 2004

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1590593898/qid=1090008229/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-8430951-1159020?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

GiorgioG
Friday, July 16, 2004

Well, at least this answers all the blather regarding what Joel's been up to lately and why he's not been visible on the forum.  He's been busy writing a book!

bpd
Friday, July 16, 2004

From what I gather it is simply a reprint of a lot of the essays he's written on joelonsoftware, with the only real difference being that they've been professionally edited (which was likely detrimental to them given how readable they already are).

Dennis Forbes
Friday, July 16, 2004

A perfect gift for management and coworkers.

.NET Developer
Friday, July 16, 2004

Aha! I true nature of his motives is revealed! Shameless monetary gain!

anon-y-mous cow-ard
Friday, July 16, 2004

<<Aha! I true nature of his motives is revealed! Shameless monetary gain! >>

I dont think he is going to make too much money. 15-20,000 dollars maybe. If he lucky, upto 40-50

Karthik 
Friday, July 16, 2004

Shit, I must be less "affluent" than I thought...15-20K is nothing these days, huh? Poor old me...

anon-y-mous cow-ard
Friday, July 16, 2004

Congrats!

Li-fan Chen
Friday, July 16, 2004

"Yes, it's mostly reprints of articles which you've already read on this site over the last four years"

Let us see what is diferent.

Camilo

Camilo Telles
Friday, July 16, 2004

I better save on disk all the articles. Just in case Joel decides to take them offline. I can't afford a printed book :-(

Rank Merida
Saturday, July 17, 2004

It is kind of sad that the Amazon link above has a section called "About the author" and then goes on to describe the careers of several distinguished people, none of whom are Joel. He doesn't even get a mention.

Maybe these are the editors, or the ghost-writers. Or maybe he should work with people who just pay more attention to detail.

Not that we'd want to be accused of "perfectionism", but getting the credit on your own book would seem like a good idea.

Maybe it is just me, but when I was published (many moons ago now), I was happy to see my name on there, not someone else's.

Steve Jones (UK)
Saturday, July 17, 2004

Stevie,

What book have you written? I am curious.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Saturday, July 17, 2004

does anyone know about book publisher data management? i went into the bookstore last month to look at a computer book. months ago it was listed as being written by jon doe, but it seems jon doe bowed out and it was written by jane smith. some computer systems, including the one in the bookstore where the book was sitting, still listed jon doe as the author. amazon lists both authors.

mb
Saturday, July 17, 2004

Hmmm. I think Amazon's halo must be have slipped a bit.

"Availability: This item has not yet been released. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives."

"Customers who bought this book also bought:

... a list of books about Oracle..."

Unless of course Amazon thinks they ARE the oracle.

MT Heart
Saturday, July 17, 2004

Sathyaish Chakravarthy: "Stevie, What book have you written? I am curious."

Well, Sathi, I haven't been published in many years, as I indicated in my post.

However, as in all these cases, Google is your friend.

Steve Jones (UK)
Sunday, July 18, 2004

Well, I just wanted to give a big congratulations for Joel for publishing this book. I surely enjoyed reading the articles on this site, and gained some new insights from them.

As for me, I'm still contemplating whether I should buy Paul Graham's new book of essays.

Shlomi Fish
Sunday, July 18, 2004

Are you this Steve Jones? http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/bios/jones.html

RP
Sunday, July 18, 2004

I must say I do like the idea of hurling at my boss and coworkers. I must remember to buy the hard cover.

Monday, July 19, 2004

At last I can get my manager to read Joel's essays.

I've always been reluctant to point him to the site, for fear of him straying into the forums.

Ged Byrne
Monday, July 19, 2004

RP: "Are you this Steve Jones?".

No, RP, that ain't me, although that Steve Jones is a very clever man.

I'm also not the Steve Jones who was a famous athlete.

Steve Jones (UK)
Monday, July 19, 2004

How about the Steve Jones who was a member of the Sex Pistols?

Monday, July 19, 2004

"Steve Jones is professor and head of the Department of Communication at the University of Illinois at Chicago."

?
Monday, July 19, 2004

Nope, I'm not him.

Nor am I any of the sad individuals who post here using the "Steve Jones (UK)" nick. Such hero-worship can be so tiresome after a while ;-)

Steve Jones (UK)
Monday, July 19, 2004

I forgot to mention before, I hope Joel will include the hilarious "Perfectionism" essay in his new book.

That was the most interesting thing he's written in ages, I reckon.

Steve Jones (UK)
Monday, July 19, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home