Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

JoS Nicknames

As there seems to have been a few cases of people posting using other people's nicknames recently, I was wondering...

Does anyone think that Joel is posting here under a new (i.e. not "Joel Spolsky/Fog Creek Software") nickname. There is one poster in particular who reminds me of Joel a lot.

Anyone care to speculate ?

P.S. This is really me, not Joel, in case anyone thought we were so similar that we must be the same person really ;-)

Steve Jones (UK)
Friday, July 16, 2004

So you think Sathyaish Chakravarthy is actually Joel?

a2800276
Friday, July 16, 2004

Give that bloke a break! He's just a nice chap who wants to be liked. That's all.

Friday, July 16, 2004

I was aware that my comment is in any way disparaging. My apologies if anyone was offended, but I saw my remarks more of the "laughing with" than "laughing at" variety.

Especially in a silly thread speculating about secret identities.

a2800276
Friday, July 16, 2004

I've wondered about that too (whether J is posting as somebody else), but closer to home, I'm probably moving to  the Boston area in a few months, and will probably have to get another car, which will render my nick 100% inaccurate.  What's the correct netiquette, I wonder...

- former car owner in Queens
Friday, July 16, 2004

- former car owner in Queens that now drives a car in Boston

Dennis Forbes
Friday, July 16, 2004

If you're moving to boston, take it from me, don't buy a car.  Been there, done that, and moved out of that place ;-)  If I would not have financed my vehicle purchase a year prior to moving to Boston, I would have moved there without a car.  Not worth the hassle, the expense (excise taxes), traffic, insane parking $....

Friday, July 16, 2004

I suspect "Bangalore Bob" is an alias Joel uses....

Steve Jones (UK)
Friday, July 16, 2004

Do you somehow stop being a former car owner in Queens?  Are you not a former car owner wherever you until the state of vehicular ownership changes?

Simon Lucy
Friday, July 16, 2004

the missing usage of the verb 'to be' marks that out as a post of mine own true self.

Simon Lucy
Friday, July 16, 2004

True, I guess it's semantically correct to say I'll be a "former car owner " forever, even after I get another one.  But the Queens part will change. ("FCO no longer in Queens"?)

Hmmm, wait, it's like the position of parentheses changing the parsing of a math equation:

(a * b) + c  !=  a * (b + c)

(former car owner in Queens) != former (car owner in Queens)

And re: the hassle of ownership, if I were going to live in Boston proper I'd probably stay car-free, but it's more likely I'll end up in a 'burb served by the T commuter rail (e.g. Natick, maybe.)  My parents still live out in the sticks west of Worcester, distressingly beyond the reach of public transit.

Friday, July 16, 2004

Shoot, that second equation should have been

(former car owner) in Queens != former (car owner in Queens)

Friday, July 16, 2004

"I suspect "Bangalore Bob" is an alias Joel uses.... " wasn't me, but who cares.

Anyway, a while ago, I would have said that "Microsoft Bob" was more Joel's style, but more recently Joel has been known to "bite the hand that feeds".

Steve Jones (UK)
Friday, July 16, 2004

The artist formerly known as Former Car Owner in Queens

Boofus McGoofus
Friday, July 16, 2004

Maybe the Illuminati, the Rockefellers, the Queen of England, as well as the Knights Templar and the Freemasons all post on JoS under secret identities.

Hidden in their posts are clues for the wise to the secret of life or wealth or eternal youth or something.

Gah, I need to get out more.

Herr Herr
Friday, July 16, 2004

I remember seeing a spot on television about software that can analyze writings from a person and then give odds that a new piece of writing is from the same author.

Maybe we could get ahold of it and do a study.

name withheld out of cowardice
Friday, July 16, 2004

Thanks, Boofus McG, (and timely, as we just saw Prince on Wednesday night), but I'm not sure I've written anything that'd qualify me as an "artist" (former or otherwise)...

Friday, July 16, 2004

But then, neither has Prince ... IMHO

sgf
Friday, July 16, 2004

Yeah! But both seem to be eligible to be called 'squiggly'.

_
Friday, July 16, 2004

I'm not philo

philo
Friday, July 16, 2004

I've heard that Ben Jonson's plays were actually written by J. Spolsky.

S. Pepys
Friday, July 16, 2004

FCO I.B.

It sounds official and stuff.

www.MarkTAW.com
Saturday, July 17, 2004

FCO EIQ NIB

Didn't you know? They have to be three letters.

KayJay
Saturday, July 17, 2004

>I've heard that Ben Jonson's plays were actually written by J. >Spolsky.

And Joel provided Ben Johnson's urine sample following his 1988 world record 100 m sprint. So have even suggested that Joel actually did the running...

a2800276
Monday, July 19, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home