Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Resumes on DVD

What would you guys think of an applicant who put their resume on DVD as some sort of presentation. It could include a movie-like interview with the person talking about their interests, sample software projects they've worked on, a documentary on the applicant, etc. etc.

I would think it would be a great way to differentiate oneself from the rest of the resumes that employers would recieve, and would be much more likely to be remembered by the employer. Also while 5 pages of text might be long on a resume, it would probably translate to 5 minutes as video footage.

Whatcha think? I'm planning to put something like that together for my own resume.

Thanks!

bah humbug
Friday, July 16, 2004

Might work well if you're targeting a smaller company that's looking for innovative R&D type applicants, but I fear a larger corporation will just file it in the round folder...

Buzzkill
Friday, July 16, 2004

Thats probably true. I do plan to be applying at small but mature ISV's actually, so what do you think?

bah humbug
Friday, July 16, 2004

If you were in a 'creative' profession - especially anything film related - it would be a great idea. But since you're a developer, it's not.

When I hire someone, I end up getting piles of CVs to look at. I want to look at each one as quickly as possible. I scan the first page and if it doesn't catch my eye, I bin it. If you sent me a DVD, it would catch my eye all right, but it would also be impractical for me to spend the time to look at it - my first pass is usually no more than 30 seconds per CV. You would automatically go on the rejected pile.

Sounds harsh, right? Well, it is. When I'm recruiting, I have to be very harsh about rejecting CVs, or else I'd end up seeing twenty candidates for each job.

If you want to differentiate yourself and make your CV/resume stands out, then (on my assessment criteria at least) make sure it

* Uses one (or at most two) fonts - something plain and sans-serif. Nothing more annoying than CVs in Comic Sans.

* Is well-formatted - if it looks good to the eye, I'm more likely to read it. I want to see stuff that looks like it was printed professionally, not run off on the CV wizard.

* Contains the relevant information first - I want to see a summary of skills on the first page. It's the very first thing I look for. Personal statements or profiles get ignored, so if you have one make sure it's short and ignorable.

* Contains enough information to assess you, but not so much that I get sick of reading about you. Four pages is OK if you have a lot of previous jobs to talk about.

* Contains educational background and qualifications - way too many people leave this off.

* Does not contain any lies - if I'm suspicious about something, I will find a question I can test you on during the interview. If you turn out to have been fibbing about skills or experience, I get *very* annoyed :-)

My experience is that people with good CVs almost always get an interview. You don't need gimmicks to stand out. You just need to be more capable than the usual band of muppets that apply for jobs these days. If you're at all smart, it's not that hard.

Neil Hewitt
Friday, July 16, 2004

You sound like an idiot. Who wants to push in a DVD and spend 15 minutes listening to drivel?

Management material
Friday, July 16, 2004

I don't have a DVD drive at work, so I'd never be able to view it. 

nathan
Friday, July 16, 2004

I have to agree that a resume on DVD sounds like an idea doomed to fail.  I think most hiring managers/HR folks would be more annoyed that you don't fit into their process than anything else.  Unless the job is video editing or graphic design or similiar, I wouldn't try it.

muppet
Friday, July 16, 2004

> My experience is that people with good CVs almost
> always get an interview. You don't need gimmicks to
> stand out. You just need to be more capable than the
> usual band of muppets that apply for jobs these days.
> If you're at all smart, it's not that hard.

You _think_ that people with good CVs almost always
get an interview, because _you_ think, you are able to
detect good people.

Ignore my ignorance
Friday, July 16, 2004

no, you do need to stand out, but gimmicks don't generally work.

Frankly 90% of the time it's just dumb stupid luck.  Hiring Manager A asks HR to give him 6 resumes.  HR compiles 57 resumes which win at buzzword bingo, and then take the first 6 off the stack.

At least, that's how it goes everyplace I've been.

muppet
Friday, July 16, 2004

Why not do this whole presentation in Flash, put it on your web site, and just give the URL with a basic résumé telling people they can see more there?

Most people have the Flash plug-in loaded, and you probably don't want to work at a place where the HR people don't have some permanent, high-speed connection to the Net anyway.

Fred
Friday, July 16, 2004

If I was looking for a marketing guy, this would probably grab my attention.

Of course, if I didn't have the software and/or it tried to install software and/or required me to get plugins, it'd make me hesitant.

KC
Friday, July 16, 2004

I used a business-card CD with my resume on it when job hunting two years ago. My roommate followed suit this Spring. We both found it an effective tool. It was interesting and got people's attention. It was also easier to carry than a paper resume and easily distributed at a formal interview.

Despite all the nay-sayers, it is a good complement to the traditional resume.

DaveF
Friday, July 16, 2004

Mr. HR is only going to examine the resumes in the second round, after separating the buzzword-rich wheat  from the chaff.  He wants to pull out the good ones as fast and efficiently as possible, so he doesn't waste time examining resumes that aren't even "maybes". 

Although the content of the DVD might be good, I don't think it would even see the light of day unless accompanied by a very good traditional resume.

EAW
Friday, July 16, 2004

umm... what's a CV?  is that what resumes are called outside of the US?

Rich
Friday, July 16, 2004

CV == "Curriculum Vitae"

This is the document that job applicants outside the USA present to prospective employers. My understanding is that the rules and standards for a CV are somewhat different than an American resumè.

-Mark

Mark Bessey
Friday, July 16, 2004

Ain't no rules, just expectations.

Resumes/CV's need enough words to get through the automated search and enough clear, simple grace to be a good second-round read.

Personal networking is really valuable to get past that first filter.

Cheers

Richard C Haven
Friday, July 16, 2004

It might just work but only if you pair the DVD with a traditional resume.

And further why even go the DVD route when you can easily target a larger audience using something as simple as a mpg file on a CD which anyone can easily play using Windows Media player or similar. It would be also easy to do things like include screenshots of the applications you have developed

Code Monkey
Friday, July 16, 2004

Conceptually it's a good idea. Practically, its a bad idea because any sensible firm is going to throw away unseen any software received from unknown persons as a security risk.

Dennis Atkins
Friday, July 16, 2004

In some cases, depending on your profession and type of job, it can be a good idea. BUT only as an added extra, follow-up material, to your CV. A CV should be professionally and formatted in a simple way. Your DVD will probably be thrown away. Recruiters have maybe 100's of resumes to read through, no time for DVD. Keep it short, simple and to the point. But if the recruiter gains interest in your resume, the DVD can be interesting for them and provide you with that extra something to get the job.

----------
http://sleepyhead81.blogspot.com

Espen Antonsen
Saturday, July 17, 2004

Do they sell DVD burnables in the wallet size?

Li-fan Chen
Saturday, July 17, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home