Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Notebook has crashed - Advice

I start out by saying it is my fault - I did a the dastardly deed that caused my IBM notebook not to function.

In the scale of 1 to 10 in technical competence - I am at 4

It all started when I wanted t have Linux (SUSE) as my second OS on the notebook. I used PartitionMagic to create a partition for Linux. The original OS was only Win XP (Pro).

The partitioning went fine - I think. Linux was installed succesfully. But I could not boot to WinXP although 'grub' offered the option.

I got a dos error and the computer rebooted.

I called IBM support and they sent me the recovery CDs - which I installed. But the same error occured.

So here is the dumb part - I booted into Linux (which still worked) and I deleted the 'grub' directory in the '/boot' folder.

No when I boot the computer I get a dos-like grub command - 'grub> '

What should I do? The IBM support was not helpful - the operator on the telephone had not heard of 'grub'.

Can anyone help me out here?

Magna Carta
Friday, July 16, 2004

My advice is to reformat the hard disk and then install XP from the recovery CD. Then try and install Linux directly without wasting time with Partition Magic.

Stephen Jones
Friday, July 16, 2004

I tried dual booting on my laptop a few years ago with not much success- but in the end, decided to shell out for vmWare:

http://www.vmware.com/

it lets you run an operating system within a window on your windows laptop. Very advanced, very cool.

asdf1234
Friday, July 16, 2004

Throw it in the trash and buy a new one.

Friday, July 16, 2004

"I got a dos error and the computer rebooted."

Why did you get a DOS error? Does the IBM BIOS display DOS errors?

Leauki (Andrew J. Brehm)
Friday, July 16, 2004

How do I reformat the disk?

At the moment I am taken staright to the grub command line.

Thanks for all your help.

Magna Carta
Friday, July 16, 2004

Boot it up from a diskette.

Saturday, July 17, 2004

You're notebook probably won't take a diskette. Most modern notebooks have phased them out. The IBM disks might not have anything else but a clone.

I would suggest you try and use another machine to make a bootable CD with Partition Magic on it and then use that to format the HD. You could also try making a bootable USB pen drive with the same.

Stephen Jones
Saturday, July 17, 2004

Boot from a DOS diskette, and run FDISK with the undocumented MBR switch:
A:\>fdisk /mbr

This rewrites your master boot record and gets rid of the Grub loader.  You may need to run it again to set up / get rid of your partitions.

chiph
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home