Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Disgruntled techies of the world unite and take ov

Disgruntled techies of the world unite and take over

"An aggrieved British teenager, fired from his $223-per-week job, has taken revenge on his former bosses by bombarding them with 5 million e-mails, effectively crippling their Web site.

The spam-happy youngster was let go for failing to complete his time sheet."

Can you blame him?????

Time sheets are crap.....

Steve Jones (UK)
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

$223 per week. That's about $11,000pa. Which is about £6,500... This is not much money... Perhaps that was annoying him too!

gwyn
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

if I had made $223/week at my first job, I'd have considered myself filthy rich.

muppet
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

"Can you blame him?"

Sure I can blame him. He can do what he was hired to do (including fill out the timesheet), or he can find another job.

It's like an athlete who won't do what his coach says. Is he wrong? Should he damage the playing field if he's cut from the roster?

Tom H
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Filthy rich? In what country?

sid6581
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Tom H are you in management?

Your reaction sounds lot like my old bosses.

DO IT MY WAY, right or wrong, OR YOU ARE GONE!!!!!!

I was joking about the timesheets anyway..

Steve Jones (UK)
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

==>Filthy rich? In what country?

Here in the U.S.

Most folks get their first jobs as teenagers at 15 or 16 (don't remember -- I think I started at 16).

$223 a week, when Mom & Dad are still supplying the food, rent/mortgage, electric, phone, etc -- when most of your friends are making about $100 a week at their after-school jobs -- yeah, I'd say $223 would make most any teenager in the U.S. feel "Filthy" rich.

Sgt. Sausage
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Steve  - I also hate timesheets, and I have to fill out at least three or four every week reporting essentially the same hours (on four different systems with four different logon/passwords!!!). But I grit my teeth, fill them out, and cash the check :^)

Tom H
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Don't complain to me about f*cking timesheets.  You spend some time dealing with TPS reports and 8 f*cking clueless bosses and then come back to me and complain.

Peter Gibbons
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

haha.  I just got a statement from the Social Security Administration and it showed what I've made every year since I started working.

Over my first few years, I only made $2000 each year.... and that was working during high school and college.

KC
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

According to The Register a few days ago the lad was 17 and earning £120 / week.  Which if he was full-time is about £3 /hour.  Not wonderful.  The National Minimum Wage cuts in at 18 and would net him £3.80 /hour (£4.10 come October).  I wonder how close he was to his 18th Birthday?

(caveat: The Register's source was The Sun so it's possible he was actually a 35year old woman earning £20k/year...not that I don't trust any of Rupert Murdoch's organs or anything)

a cynic writes...
Thursday, July 15, 2004

Come on guys, anyone can see that this is not a topic I would have started.

Steve Jones (UK)
Friday, July 16, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home