Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How Often do You Meet Medium Sized Proj Deadlines?

How often do you meet medium sized project deadlines?  I rarely if ever do.  That's just been the culture at all the places I've worked at.  I don't mean I'm weeks late - maybe a day or two.  How about you?  What percentage of companies are very strict about meeting deadlines?

anon
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Surely just a day or two is well within the margin of error of the estimating method used. In this case, I don't think you should consider that "missing" the deadline.

Steve Jones (UK)
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

The place I work rarely makes deadlines, mostly due to the fact that they seem to think they needed everything a month ago and base their project estimates on that rather than on any real management know-how *sigh*

Joe
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

I can tell you that not having detailed specs causes a fair amount of missed deadlines, because the deadlines are set too soon based on what the spec says, but then because it's vague, the customer gets in more changes, and thus the time goes over very easily.

sir_flexalot
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

I always finish ahead.

Of course, I tend to slow my workspeed near the end of every project, too.  This way, the PM won't assign me more work than he THINKS I can handle.  :)

Ken
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

I always finish before or on time. I have a track record on that. Earlier they kept giving me more and more work when I finished early. And the work was such that I had to spend countless hours overtime. Now, I've gotten a bit smarter. I try to do what Ken says. I finish my work and try to take out time for blogs, forums and my own study. Then towards the last few days, I get back into the zone, just ship it and take the kudos for consistent delivery.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

This is rich. Deadlines? Seriously, rarely like as in never is anything ever so documented that you could test something to determine if it was done or not. Of course as a programmer you test what you did and pass it up the line. Now they begin to think about. They send back *fixes* which are change requests but who would know. You have not done what they thought you would do and if  you bring up specs and reqs then usually that wins the day but the linger is that you need to fix it. So you do that. You test it. They look at it and wow what about this ... oh sure, the developer can fix that.

:) ... that's been 90% of my experience.  I love how people denigrate the plethora of programmers without the background as if software projects were all the responsibility of programmers. I'm amazed at the number of people involved in software projects who don't even know what macros are. These are people are really aren't too sure what a computer can or cannot do. People who have no idea if what they are asking  is a lot or a little.

In order to meet a deadline  you need specs and reqs so  you can test against something. Personally I meet about 99% of these. But if you define a deadline as "when the project goes live" then I hit that about 15% of the time if that.

me
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Oh heck, I forgot other people read this.  Let me try it over.

I always meet my deadlines. Often times I finish ahead of the deadline and notify the business owners. I then help the other developers try and reach their deadlines. Sad to say but they are usually mired in mush and I'm in such demand that I can't help them as often as I'd like.

You can reach me at believeitornot@bulls*.com

me
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

A couple of years ago I finished a project the day it was set, at a tiny fraction of the budget and time allocated.

The client was a large government organsation. I  listened to the requirements for a database-driven website designed to throw minisites together quickly with press releases and progress reports for specific issues.

I then said "check out citydesk from fog creek software". The client looked at the product, decided it was exactly what he needed, problem solved.

True story. I was kicking myself afterwards because of all the easy money I had shunned.

Herr Herr
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

I haven't blown a deadline or a budget since 1999.

*knocks on wood*

Hopefully I can keep the streak going.

www.ChristopherHawkins.com
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Wow!  You guys are amazing!

I don't think I have ever seen a project make its original deadline.  Of deadlines have a way of moving...

I wonder, are you guys lying to us or to yourselves?

name withheld out of cowardice
Thursday, July 15, 2004

I meet them all the time. And wave to them as I go past.

Friday, July 16, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home