Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

I got those humpday blues...

So, yesterday I allowed the Windows update on the XP workstation/test machine.  No discernable problem.

This morning, I allowed the Windows update on my regular Win2k workstation which is where I do 90% of my work.  Result?  Pandemonium.

Now, obviously I can't honestly swear that it was one of the hotfixes which has pranged the box but that's the only radical change since the last reboot.

Afterwards, the registry seemed to have been smacked with a large tyre iron.  The control panel has all the icons neatly arranged on the left hand column of the screen, separated from an entirety of nothing on the right by a scroll bar. 

The contents of Winnt are entirely invisible, they're there, attributes fine, but all invisible.  Applications load but don't get a visible window, or they load with RPC errors.

I reboot and it appears fine again, then it quickly begins to C0000005 all over the shop.

So now I'm reluctantly upgrading to XP, hoping it writes a sane registry and doesn't copy the crap.

Today started out so well too...

Simon Lucy
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

It sounds like Microsoft killed your 2k box to get you to upgrade to XP, but just to check, are you connected to the internet, and have you run a virus scan or two?

sir_flexalot
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Virus scans happen every morning, after the virus db is updated.

Simon Lucy
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

does win2k have system restore? can't remember when that was added.

mb
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

System Restore comes with XP.

But things like this explain why people are reluctant to do automatic updates.

Stephen Jones
Thursday, July 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home