Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

If you could hire one person...

If you could hire one person from this forum, who would it be?  Who is the best programmer on this forum?  Why no JOS coding contest with these people as judges?

Ethereal Elixir
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

If Jenna Jameson happens to be lurking here then I'd probably hire her.

TheGeezer
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

There isn't enough information to make a reasoned decision.  Also, some people suffer simply for having boring or inconsistent posting sigs.
I'd be surprised if there was more than a little interest in some coding competition - that's not really what the site is about, and there are plenty of other places to go if that's what you want.

Brian
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Actually a coding competition on JOS would be interesting.  I think it would stir things up a bit.

Blank
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Me!

.NET Developer
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Being of value to a programming team (or to my company anyway) has only a tiny bit to do with raw coding ability).

What I want is someone who can identify and digest problems and come up with good solutions. That is not intrinsically a "coding" skill.

How many times have you looked back, in hindsight, and realized that only 20% or less of the work you did  actually contributed to the bottom line (pleasing the customer, etc.).

I know I've done that too many times to count.

BTW, I read in the Mythical Man Month that the breakdown of time on development is something like:
Design/specs:  30%
Testing & Debugging: 30%
Coding : 20%
(I think the rest was maintenance).

So, I don't want a coder, I want someone who can SOLVE PROBLEMS and CRAFT SOLUTIONS.

Mr. Analogy
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

If you want a "coding contest" that means something, start your own company.

free(malloc(-1))
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

I would hire Eric Sink to choose for me & then flame him publicly on his choice & intensely scrutinize his decision making process.

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

I want the old Joel (from before he got bitter) for my PR department.

Just me (Sir to you)
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Following on from what Mr. Anolgy said, I would hire Eric Sink, as I believe he has a pretty good track record of getting stuff done and products out the door.

That would be a good fit for my business, as I have the technical/consultancy side covered, but could use some input on the productization (is that a real word?) side of things.

Steve Jones (UK)
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

I echo .NET developer's comment - Me! I'd give myself a fscking big pay rise for putting up with all the sh*t I have to go through.

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

i second the jenna jameson notion.

Grover
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

I have met the Jenna Jameson lurking around here. He had pizza toppings stuck to his beard and smelly feet. He actually liked PHP, so that was a no-hire.

Just me (Sir to you)
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

I'd hire that "null fame" guy in a second.

Also, Philo seems pretty sharp.

null fame
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home