Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

On Eudora

I used to be an Eudora user. I loved it's sturdy rugged look. It handled massive amount of email without any problems (anyone remebers the 2GB limit Outlook had?) and it worked fine on my POP accounts.
Then, one day, I subscribed to an IMAP account and thus began my woes. Eudora spent ages trying to download the headers, let alone moving messages from the server to the local folders. Oh, and did I mention the bad programming? Try clicking on a folder on your imap account. Once you click a signal is sent to the server and something else comes back. While that happens, you see a flash on the folder. Double buffering anyone? Aren't these problems suppose to be trivial to someone who works on such an application?
Just because it deserves, let's also mention it's looks. Although they were great during 1997, they aren't even close nowadays. N ow they don't look rugged, they look incomplete.

Then I installed, of course, Thunderbird. It's 10x faster handling IMAP. It's even faster than Outlook 2k3. It doesn't freeze while handling my tons of messages in the background. It looks sexy. It has a clean and efficient interface. Oh, and the spam filter actually works.

How can Eudora still be alive?

RP
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

I use Eudora all the time -- I'd love to try something better because, well, it's a bit rusty.  But I've become so accustomed to how things are done in Eudora that nothing else (including Thunderbird) works for me. 

If I could find another email client with a tabbed interface, I'd probably be set.  Ok, Eudora is not really tabbed -- it's MDI with a taskbar -- but I don't want my 20 or so open folders and messages spilling into my taskbar!

Almost Anonymous
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Most companies are happy serving it once they have tested it. IT Dept tend to remind users to keep their inbox small. Back in the POP days it was bad, but big IMAP header downloads sucks too.

Li-fan Chen
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

>> How can Eudora still be alive?

Obvisously many people are content with POP.

Fred
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

About the only thing currently stopping me from switching from Eudora to Thunderbird is that its import facility doesn't actually handle all of Eudora's crazy quirks.  In particular, Eudora deletes a lot of MIME stuff from messages, and Thunderbird's import doesn't entirely restore it.  It's especially bad on archived outgoing messages.

Every so often I debate the possibility of writing some scripts to fix it up, but mostly I'm hoping somebody on the Mozilla team will get around to it before I do.  :)

I suppose I could fix it myself, but I *really* dislike writing text processing code in C.

Phillip J. Eby
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

I solved the problem of importing messages from Eudora to Mozilla in the most simple way: using an IMAP mail account. I dragged the messages from Eudora to the IMAP server and then dragged them back from Thunderbird.

Of course this takes forever on the Eudora side, but apart from that, it's quite nice.

RP
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Hm.  Interesting.  I've got nearly a decade's worth of e-mail in Eudora, and it took hours to run the incomplete conversion to Thunderbird on my desktop.  So the thought of going to a server and back over DSL makes me shudder.  OTOH, maybe I could set up an IMAP server on an old box on the LAN.  Hm.

So did that actually fix up attachments, HTML mail, and everything else?  Very interesting.  Hm, come to think of it, depending on the IMAP server I could possibly just swipe its mailbox files directly rather than IMAPping them back.  Hm.

OTOH, setting up the IMAP server and all of that might well take longer than just writing a script...  ah well.  :)

Phillip J. Eby
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Well, I do this slowly. I only have a couple of year's worth of email and I transfered half of it in 2 weeks. So, in one month I should have done it. OTOH, how were you going to write that script? I still need to get rid of the x-html tags Eudora uses....

RP
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

I used to be a Eudora user. While the program still exists, it seems to be dying. e.g. there used to be several S/MIME plug-ins, now there seem to be none left.
One of my major dislikes about this product is that it actually destroys the MIME messages (it extracts the attachments to a folder and then replaces the mail message with a different one sans attachments, and adds a link to the attachment in the new message).

Just me (Sir to you)
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Funny, the automatic attachment extraction is the feature I love best about Eudora... what's the use of a file that's embedded in the message database?

Also, I don't use IMAP so I'm still happy with Eudora.

Chris Nahr
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

"""I still need to get rid of the x-html tags Eudora uses...."""

Aaaaagh.  I wish you'd said that in the first place, and I wouldn't have spent hours setting up an IMAP server and upgrading to Eudora 6.1 in order to get it to connect to the bloody thing.

Basically, using IMAP is not only slower than Thunderbird's import facility, but it doesn't fix the x-html and x-flowed crap that was the problem in the first place.

I guess writing a script to strip those tags and fix the mime headers is the way to go.  The problem is that although there are several scripts out there, none of them actually fix all emails correctly.  See:

http://www.gnist.org/~lars/code/eudora2mbox/eudora2mbox.py

and

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=26837

Phillip J. Eby
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

I have to agree with Chris. The automatic attachment extraction feature is probably the main reason I haven't switched e-mail clients. 99.99% of the attachments I get I want to delete or put somewhere in my normal folder hierarchy. I don't want to have to individually save attachments and then individually delete attachments from my mail archive just to avoid saving the oodles of 3 MB attachments I get from my mom.

Also, I love the MDI type interface for mail. I like having separate windows for each of my mailboxes that open up when messages are filtered to them but don't all get listed in the task bar. It provides a visual clue as to what mail I have based on window position.

Mole
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

I guess that should be "individually save OR individually delete" since what would be the point of saving then having to delete twice?

Mole
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Just goes to show: One man's poison ...

Just me (Sir to you)
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home