Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

The End of Shrink-Wrap?

A lot being talked about "Utility Computing," though most thoughts about it are ambiguous.

What are people's thoughts about having a system where:

1. The end-user picks and chooses what he wants, when he wants it, and is able to edit it freely (it being a client app. w/ an open deliverable)

2. Client-side apps. being dynamic (e.g, run-time deployment, able to change in real-time to data,  etc.) and developed mainly by domain experts.

3. Less hardward costs as storage infrastructure is diverse and spread out (not centralized).

Would anyone share thoughts or ad 4, 5,6 ...

Joe Binary
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

4. Troll
5. Salad Cream
6. You nazi

antisocial
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

The whole premise relies on being connected to a network all the time, which isn't realistic for a lot of corporate and consumer applications.

Jeremy
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

I have to say, that while the ideas sound good, they're pretty much the same thing that's been promised for the last 30 years. If people really wanted such things, I would have thought somebody would have built something along those lines by now.

Chris Tavares
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

sounds like opensource.

somemorone
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

We've had something like this for some time with Spreadsheets.  Go to any large firm of accountants and you'll find hugely complicated spreadsheets that have grown over the years with no real IT involvment.  The same goes for Access databases, though to a lesser extent.

In the long term these turn out to be support nightmares.  In the end you have a whole generation of works entirely dependant upon a spreadsheet.  Nobody knows where it is from, nobody knows how it actually works.  The sheet is probably riddled with bugs, but nobody is qualified to spot them.

The real challange with development are not the technological ones, they are all being solved, they are human in nature.  This is why we need software professionals.

It's like buying and selling a house.  On the surface, it seems simple enough.  How is the the buying and selling a house any different to buying and selling a can of coke.  There are two parties.  The buyer wants the item, the seller wants the cash.  Cash and item swap hands and everybody is happy.

So why is it that when we do buy or sell a house we have to pay out all those fees?  Because when you start dealing with transactions at that scale, all kinds of other factors come into play and it requires trained and experienced professionals to deal with them all.

Ged Byrne
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Again, all the technology exists to do that for people, so go for it.  I think you'll find the market isn't that big, because of slow modems and tons of "my computer's fine like it is" users.

sir_flexalot
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

And people who actually enjoy desktop based applications that keeps their hands the fuck out of their internet connection .

I hate auto-update, install from the web etc. Just gimme a monolithic installer and at most a non-intrusive note saying "Gosh, you can download a new version from www.example.com"

M
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

It's Excel more than Access that has the real monsters - a set of linked spreadsheets (linked to get past the 65,000 limit) that take in all the sales data from eleven offices at the end of each day, and hav been doing so for years.

The thing here though is that when they started there was probably only one office. And the secretary that did it added such value to the company that it was able to expand to having ten or eleven offices. If it had spent all its money on an IT Professional to start with it would probably have gone broke.

Stephen Jones
Thursday, July 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home