Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Book about Exchange server and domain controllers

Happily posting off-topic material, of course...

Since I somehow ended up in Windows support and administration in a medium-sized company and since I am supposed to take over administration of the domain controller and mail server within the week, knowing that I know little about either, except the basics, more used to UNIX/Sendmail, I am wondering which books I should buy.

Any ideas?

Leauki (Andrew J. Brehm)
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

I have O'Reilly's "Essential WIndows NT System Administration" by Aeleen Frisch, who also wrote the Unix version of the same book.  I like it, and imagine there's a more recent (Win2k/2k3) version if that's what you need.  You're talking about domain, though, so I imagine you need at least some old school documentation.I also have "Windows NT User Administration" and at least one Exchange book that I believe walked off so I can't give you the title. :(

For Windows, I've found O'Reilly often, but not always, good.  There are other publishers out there, poke around your bookstore. :)

Rich
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

I just bought 'Implementing and Managing MS Exchange Server 2003' by MS Press, ISBN 0735618992 to help me with a new Exchange implementation I'm doing. It seems pretty good so far, slowly working my way through it. It's specifically targetted towards the MCSE exam but is handy reference & guide even if you're not pursuing the qualification.

You didn't say which version of Exchange you're using though so it may not be suitable. I'd imagine there is a similar book for older versions though.

James U-S
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Thanks.

Leauki (Andrew J. Brehm)
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home