Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Macromedia Central: A worthwhile platform?(Part 2)

Does anyone think Central would take off if Macromedia were to open-source it?

Just wondering
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Macromedia should OpenSource EVERYTHING. Why stop with    Central?

Opensource is the wave of the present. It's the only choice if Macromedia wants to succeed.

They should also drop the MS platform and develop exclusively for Linux.

I recommend the same plan for Adobe as well.

It's just obvious.

Open Source fanboy
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

> Macromedia should OpenSource EVERYTHING.

This forum has become JoelDot.

Eric Sink
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

> Macromedia should OpenSource EVERYTHING.
> Why stop with Central?

> Opensource is the wave of the present. It's
> the only choice if Macromedia wants to
> succeed.

It depends on what you mean by success.

If success == "their tools will be used by everyone", then yes, open source is the way to go.

If success == "have a reasonably profitable company and pay their employees" then open source is definitely NOT the way to go.

For 95% of the software companies, open sourcing all their products would mean SUICIDE: no more profits, bankruptcy, etc.

Open source appears to work for some companies such as SUN because they also offer hardware, and finance their software development by selling hardware.

Red Hat is one of the leading OSS companies. Yet, they only recently shown profit, and that profit is small.

I think that software companies which are the size of Red Hat and which develop closed source products are much better from a financial point of view - they earn a lot more.

George
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

It might.

Even if they keep it close source, I think their price structure may kill it or make it much less widespread than it could be.

They want a 20% cut of each try-or-buy sale of an app  or a $20 per user per year in packs of 20 or 100 (paid by you the developer/publisher) to access any of you Central apps (for corporate type deployments). There is also a non-commercial (as in no connection to any money makeing venture whatsoever) option.

This leaves no place for those like web stores and those that want to provide a rich interface to their websites or ad-based, "lite" version, or other commercial freebie type apps. I would think this would be the best avenue for getting this type of app/service known to the public at large.

Chris Altmann
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

I seem to remember that Sun also survives by dubious subsidies from Microsoft.

Steve Jones (UK)
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home