Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Have you tried Google groups beta?

Have you tried the beta of the new Google groups yet?

http://groups-beta.google.com/

It is a massive improvement:
  * Posts appear immediately
  * It keeps track of unread messages
  * You can have posts and digets emailed to you
  * It's quick
  * It feels very much like gmail

Can Google do wrong?

Ged Byrne
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Looks like a cross between yahoo groups and usenet.

somemorone
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

It _is_ usenet.

Ged Byrne
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Cool!  Didn't see that.

I like the new clean look of the messages.  kind of looks like this board!

Go whitespace, down with boxes!

Roose
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

I can't stand the 4Reply though, illiteracy is not an option.

Simon Lucy
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

>>"It _is_ usenet."

Right.

So how is this better than accessing usenet with a regular newsreader program?

Pretending to be Dennis Atkins
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Wow. It's even got top authors for different groups.

Other news readers may have more bells & whistles. Can you *plonk* someone in Google Groups?

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Where's the 4Reply that so annoys Simon; I can't see it.

Stephen Jones
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Its at the end of each message.

Unless you're trying to feed my paranoia, they know I hate such stuff and its tailored to me.

Simon Lucy
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

If you highlight & copy the > Reply with the little right arrow graphic, it pastes as 4.

<style>
.tick {
font-family: webdings;
text-decoration:none;
}
</style>

<a  href="/group/rec.audio.pro/post?inreplyto=684c38da726be3a7"><span class="tick">4</span> Reply</a>

It's a style sheet thing, in IE it shows up as an arrow, but in FireFox it's a 4.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

I use Netscape and it shows up as an arrow.

Stephen Jones
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

> Its at the end of each message.

Simon, maybe that should be "It's"?

No need for illiteracy, don't you think?

+=
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

The ellision of apostrophes when they themselves indicate that a letter has been elided is a continuing evolutionary development. 

He says weakly.

Simon Lucy
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Yep the 4 is to get the tick in webdings.

I really think the interface is neat; if only the quality of discussion on soc.culture.srilanka had undergone a revamp! Anybody who thinks the quality of sSashdot is abysmally low should take a look, and he'll realize Slashdot is a model of urbanity in comparison.

Stephen Jones
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Well at least the Kalashnikovs aren't real on Usenet.

What kind of general purpose site depends upon a particular font?  An ill designed one.

Simon Lucy
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Yep, it's Windows centric since wingdings is a Windows font.

Stephen Jones
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

"So how is this better than accessing usenet with a regular newsreader program?"

It _is_ a newreader.

Tom H
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

"So how is this better than accessing usenet with a regular newsreader program?"

Alot of people site behind firewalls/proxys that block nmtp.

Another good reason to use Google Groups is the fact that you can easly search old post. With a news reader you can only search the post's you have downloaded.

Gary van der Merwe
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Can anyone spot an option to show posts in a fixed font?  So many postings to usenet rely upon ascii graphics etc

i like i
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

What's better about Google Groups is that your newsreader probably doesn't contain searchable archives of those newsgroups back to 1982 like Google does.

Matthew Lock
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

And it seems to be smart enough to realize that a thread is not merely "all posts with identical text in subject"!!

That has always bugged me about google groups.

sgf
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

"So how is this better than accessing usenet with a regular newsreader program? "

For the same reason that hotmail/yahoo! mail/gmail is better than a regular email program such as Outlook.

....Whatever that may be.

JT
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

WAIT a sec here... I just signed up for it and looked at posting something and it appears that it will be displaying my gmail account to the world including spammers.
Does it shield your address in any way?

Yukon
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

I've just checked a recent posting and my email shows up like this:

Ged Byrne
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

I don't like that the search results don't tell you how long the thread is.  When I'm doing research, I can't stand clicking on questions with no answers.

Brian
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Usenet is soooooo 90's.

Gen Y
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Got a bug in that they obfuscate all email addresses, even in the text of posts, forcing you to email people through Google's interface. The problem is when the poster has a Remove-Spam-bob@example.com address in their sig, making them unreachable.

But ok, they're a couple months away from non-beta. All their problems are mitigated by having regular Google Groups up, and the beta version is for people likely to send good feedback.

Tayssir John Gabbour
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

"Usenet is soooooo 90's. "

You mean 80's, but whatever. Usenet still rocks.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

If you don't want your email address out there, either don't use USENET or don't post with your real email address. If you're counting on the Google interface to protect you from spammers, you're kidding yourself. Any half decent spammer can get access to a raw Usenet feed (if only from his ISP). As others have pointed out, Google Groups is merely a WINDOW to Usenet.

In fact, the fact that Google obfus email addressess that are carried in the Usenet feed is a horriyfing bug, imho. Of course, maybe this is becoming standard practice in the Usenet world, I wouldn't know, I have mostly migrated to Web communities.

R Tate
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

PS I agree with Tayssir John Gabbour

R Tate
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

I really hope they start indexing web discussion forums like this one. Imagine an advanced search by author or by topic or date which spans newsgroups, web forums, and home-grown Google-Groups-which-are-not-newsgroups.

Akilesh Ayyar
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

The difference with newsgroups is that nobody owns them. That means Google can put any ads they want to on them.

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home