Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Emailing a word document from word

I am having some unexpected behaviour when I try to send a document straight from Word.
From the setting in General Options I gather that you can choose to let Word send the document as an attachment, or as a mail message.
My setting is set to attachment, so I expect to send a message with the .doc file attached. Apparently my expectation is false because I get a message with several attachments, all appearing to be different parts of the document after conversion to XML, or HTML possibly.

Can any of you explain why my expectation was false? I am using Word 2003 (Dutch) and can't seem to find anything in the help file other than confirmation of my expectations.

Erik
Monday, July 12, 2004

Downgrade to office 2000.

somemorone
Monday, July 12, 2004

Not Reporducible

Steps attempted to reproduce:

1) Open Word 2003
2) Type text into default document
3) File
4) Send to
5) Email recepient (as attachment)
6) Enter email address
7) Receive email (either in Outlook 2003 or directly obtaining from POP3 server)
8) Only 1 attachment, entitled Document.doc

Looks like you need to provide more specific information.

Elephant
Monday, July 12, 2004

You have a menu entry "email recipient (as attachment)"?

I do not. I have the following entries, translated from Dutch, so I am not sure about the exact words.

1 Email recipient
2 Email recipient (for review)
3 Participant in online meeting
4 Faxmodem
5 Internet fax service
6 Microsoft Office Powerpoint

There is a divider line between 5 and six, and entry 2 and 3 are disabled.

Erik
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Save the document, open the folder it is in, and then right click on the saved doc, choose sendto|mail recipient from the context menu.

Stephen Jones
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Thanks,

but I knew that already.
I was particularly interested in the ability to send it straight from Word, as that saves a number of steps when you have the document already open.
If not, your method is usually what I prefer.

Erik
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Elephant's description works for me.

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Then this must be a bug local to the Dutch version.
Much like where the Dutch version used to respond exactly opposite to the setting to have both main toolbars on the same row.

Bummer...

Erik
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

I hawe the same problem with the Swedish version ... I can't send the word-document as atachment from inside Word. So why can a few do it and others not ??

Magnus Reuter
Monday, August 09, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home