Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

question on (microsoft) blogs.

msdn.blogs.com lists 780 bloggers. It looks like Microsoft employees are encouraged to have a blog. 

- What is the reason for this policy? do they think that this will improve developer relations? MSDN alone doesn't cut it?

- are there any other companies that have similar policies?

- is this a good career move to have a publicly viewable blog? - pointy haired boss could read that too

- has anybody received negative managerial feedback for what he wrote in a blog? If yes, what could you do about it?

Michael Moser
Monday, July 12, 2004

.. and what will happen if a Microsoftie writes something like 'Windows is Junk, long live Linux' in his blog.
Bother.

Michael Moser
Monday, July 12, 2004

<<'Windows is Junk, long live Linux' in his blog. >>

Hmm. Interesting. I would reckon that they would kick him out.

Karthik
Monday, July 12, 2004

I know of no official policy encouraging blogs. In fact, I had to hunt out the info to do it. What I found was:
1) A page with blogging policy
2) A page with directions for how to get blogspace at msdn.com

Now granted, these things are tacit "encouragement," but it's not like I had a "start a blog in thirty days" note on my desk one morning.

As to why so many MS bloggers?
1) Yet another way to feed our insane egos
2) We actually like developers, and if posting stuff to a blog will help them, so much the better. In reading most MS blogs, I see the inner voice of "here's what I would've wanted to know when *I* was out in the real world"
3) We love numbered lists
4) 55,000 employees. 780 blogs is about 1.5% of us.
5) A very large number of us like working here, are gregarious, and are proud of the company. So we like to share.

Well, that's my $.02. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm WAY behind on my blog entry quota...

Philo

Philo
Monday, July 12, 2004

Steady on there fella. Your 1 post a month frequency is a real drain on my productivity!

Just me (Sir to you)
Monday, July 12, 2004

Philo,

All right, i was just wondering why blogs are on
http://blogs.msdn.com/
subdomain of msdn, for whatever reason. This fact was leading to additional questions, since the whole blog thing looks as an addendum to msdn content (since it is on their domain).

Michael Moser
Monday, July 12, 2004

Sun is working to encourage it too.  Tim Bray has discussed this quite often over the past few months.

The idea is that if you increase the amount of discussion (even undirected), more sharing of ideas and collaboration will result.

It sounds like it's an attempt at mimicking the idea of the Software Bazaar (sp) without having to do it via oss.

KC
Monday, July 12, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home