Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Oddpost bought by Yahoo

http://oddpost.com/yahoo.html

Corporate Dork
Friday, July 09, 2004

pretty cool, now will yahoo change its whole UI and abandon all its customers or will they serve oddpost only for its paid subscribers?

interesting times we live in.....

Prakash S
Friday, July 09, 2004

Email just got interesting!

Anon
Friday, July 09, 2004

Terrific!

So Yahoo has put up brilliant folks from Oddpost to fight gmail! An email war is declared!

JD
http://jdk.phpkid.org

JD
Saturday, July 10, 2004

Prakash,

I don't think Yahoo will abandon any of their existing customers. I think it's a good move to fight with Gmail which offered a fresh approach to web based mail.

I think the smart chaps at Oddpost will try hard to come up with something better than GMail. Considering Yahoo already has lots of users, if they get UI comparable or better than GMail, I think GMail will have tough time acquiring new users once it goes past the beta stage. [You see, no one likes to change their email address...]

It's going to be an interesting battle..

JD

JD
Saturday, July 10, 2004

The funny thing about this is Yahoo laid off their email folks who went on to design gmail.  Brilliant I say.  I hope they paid out the ass for oddpost.

christopher (baus.net)
Saturday, July 10, 2004

Christopher,

Where did you find that Yahoo email folks designed gmail?

JD

JD
Saturday, July 10, 2004

JD,

I meant yahoo abandons their customers by introducing the oddpost UI. Radically changing their UI is only going to drive customers to gmail.

Prakash S
Saturday, July 10, 2004

I think Yahoo mail interface has changed substantially from what it was earlier. I think for last major UI change, they had beta for their new UI for quite some time and then they finally made it a standard UI for everybody.

I don't think they should have any trouble introducing a better UI gradually and make sure that customers like it and they stick with Yahoo. Once again, as I said, no one likes to change their email address so I think people won't mind trying new UI and then eventually moving to new UI.

JD

JD
Saturday, July 10, 2004

Is Oddpost still IE specific?

fool for python
Saturday, July 10, 2004

Yes. It is IE specific.

JD
Sunday, July 11, 2004

That's good for them. Anyone know how much they got ?

Steve Jones (UK)
Monday, July 12, 2004

Yahoo UI guys going to Google:

I know of at least one, Kevin Fury (fury.com)
Monday, July 12, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home