Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Mozzila / Firefox / Thunderbird Security Fix

http://www.mozilla.org/security/shell.html

Had to switch to firefox after MS declined to actually fix the IE issue.  It was somewhat ironic when this was found but at least the turn around was better (one day vs 8 months).

All you mozzila users update asap!

Mini Firefox Review: 

+ Tabbed browsing, nice on slow sites and news sites to scan a listing of results and middle click on all interesting ones and then start reading through.

+ downloads are better clean listing and to the desktop, no prompts

- Combo boxes do not scroll automatically.  It is really annoying when there is a big list. In IE you just drag down and select the value you want, in FireFox you have to use the scroll bars.

- plugin support is weak compared to IE

- stop does not stop animated gifs

- scrolling with middle mouse down click messy, jerky and just not well implemented.

- many sites do not work with firefox, things like the search box so to do a search I need to use IE.  Others links don't launch I have to copy paste the link

Not happy with any browser!
Friday, July 09, 2004

"plugin support is weak compared to IE"

I think it'd be a more valuable statement if you indicated which plug-ins were notably absent. I have discovered zero sites, apart from windowsupdate, that use a desireable plug-in that Mozilla doesn't support.

"scrolling with middle mouse down click messy, jerky and just not well implemented."

Just like IE there is a smooth scroll feature, though honestly on my PC both scroll the same.

"many sites do not work with firefox, things like the search box so to do a search I need to use IE.  Others links don't launch I have to copy paste the link"

I guess your mileage may vary. I do (very) occasionally need to resort to IE, but it is more like "a small number" rather than many. In an average week the only times I launch IE are to visit msdn.microsoft.com or Windows update.

Dennis Forbes
Friday, July 09, 2004

> + downloads are better clean listing and to the desktop, > no prompts

I don't like this and always turn it off.  I like to be asked where to put the files.  One nice feature about Firefox is that it will start downloading before you specify where to save the file so you don't lose any time this way.

> many sites do not work with firefox, things like the search
> box so to do a search I need to use IE.  Others links don't
> launch I have to copy paste the link

I haven't found many sites that don't work in Firefox.  Almost everything works fine.  What do you mean by search box problems?  If links don't launch it could be because of the popup blocker.  You can specifically enable certain sites to get them to work.  Double click the icon in the status bar to do this.  Also, you might want to check out the IEView extension.  That way you won't have to copy and paste links - you can just right click and select "View in IE".

Firefox user
Friday, July 09, 2004

I wonder, will they make a "download manager" plugin?

Alex
Friday, July 09, 2004

according to the slashdot thread (which links to the bug database), the turn around was 2 years.

scrolling is my pet peeve, reported earlier. it's not that the visuals are jerky, it's that it doesn't turn on and off correctly and it's too slow.

as for dropdowns: + for mozilla: well, maybe drag doesn't work, but typeahead does, and that's so much more valuable. and i'm guessing (haven't tested) they fixed the dropdown-z-order and scroll-stealing issues.

mb
Friday, July 09, 2004

I love Firefox, but I have to switch to IE at least once a day because there is a show-stopper problem on random site x that means I can't use some feature that I want to use.

Taking aside javascript 'helper' apps that don't recognize Firefox and think that "your browser is out of date, please go to Mozilla's or Microsoft's site and download the latest version", of course.

So for instance, going to Home Depot's website to find the phone number of your local retail store, the province(state)/city dropdowns are busted.

Firefox can also be quite quirky.  For instance, yesterday I crashed it ('would you like to report this problem to Microsoft' - Don't send, 'Mozilla problem installer' - cancel) maybe a dozen times trying to submit a form.  Coupled with a slightly longer perceived loading time - my experience with Firefox yesterday probably would have turned off most users.

On the other hand, tabbed browsing, speed of loading, more graceful handling of CSS make me loath to return to IE permanently.

I think the level of usability of Firefox at the moment really depends on your surfing habits and the sites you happen to visit...

Phibian
Friday, July 09, 2004

"So for instance, going to Home Depot's website to find the phone number of your local retail store, the province(state)/city dropdowns are busted."

I haven't run into that. In fact, checked Home Depot's site (and Lowes just to make sure) and didn't have any problem locating a store either by Zip Code or by using the selector that lets you enter in your city/state. 'm using FF0.8 on Gentoo.

"Firefox can also be quite quirky.  For instance, yesterday I crashed it ('would you like to report this problem to Microsoft' - Don't send, 'Mozilla problem installer' - cancel) maybe a dozen times trying to submit a form." 

This was something I had run into back in v0.4 (Phoenix), but haven't seen since. Can you replicate it today? If so, can you tell us where the form is? I would be interested in seeing it.

"Coupled with a slightly longer perceived loading time"

Guess that's a perk of being embedded in the system - IE zips up. Didn't they have at one time a loader that would keep it resident so the loadup times would be faster?

"I think the level of usability of Firefox at the moment really depends on your surfing habits and the sites you happen to visit..."

I have a hard time believing that. I've been using Phoenix -> Firefox and other than some minor bugs have not had really any problems with web sites. Sometimes I see inconsistancies with CSS, but that is usally because the designer didn't check for cross compatability (or wanted to use a feature specific to IE).

In fact, there was only two things I would fire up IE for. The first was Windows Update, although I preferred just downloading the packs and installing them myself. The other was that one of my credit unions I bank with had a check image viewer that didn't specify the mime type correctly, so I would get a bunch of garbledness. I emailed them about it, and they corrected it. Of course, now I've finally been able to transition to Linux on my primary desktop, so Windows Update isn't much of an issue anymore. :)

CF
Friday, July 09, 2004

> So for instance, going to Home Depot's website to find the phone number of your local retail store, the province(state)/city dropdowns are busted.

Works fine for me.

christopher (baus.net)
Saturday, July 10, 2004

It's the Canadian Home Depot site that is broken - sorry, the word "state" was misleading - I assumed they were the same and didn't check..

www.homedepot.ca, English, Store Finder. (The french side is broken too)

Next time I have to switch I'll take note of where :)

Phibian
Saturday, July 10, 2004

i've had firefox for awhile , i just started using thunderbird and when i click in a link in an email, the link wont open in firefox no matter what i try to do, it always opens in ie, even tho i have firefox set as my default browser, i'll even go into firefox and click on the "check now" button to make sure its set as the default browser, but still all the email links open in ie. too bad.

julian
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

To get links in emails to open in Firefox, open any folder and chose Tools->user options->file types from the menus/tabs.  Then scroll down to "URL" , click the "change" button, and select Firefox from the list.

Larry
Monday, August 02, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home