Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Ripping DVD

Can anybody tell which is best software for ripping a DVD to VCD ? I rate best in terms of the ripping time.

Chidambaram
Friday, July 09, 2004

Do you live in the US? If so, then there is no commercial product that you can buy that allows you to exercise your archival rights on DVDs. (Been squashed in the name of DMCA.)

If you live outside the US, then you could use a tool like DVD Decrypter. Then, unless you have an absolute NEED for the piss poor quality of VCDs, I'd tell you to get the Divx encoder and encode the resulting decrypted DVDs into Divx.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Friday, July 09, 2004

I've got a couple concert DVDs for which I just want to rip the soundtrack into an MP3 I can listen to at work.  Anyone know of such a beastie?

Ahh yes, reminds me of the latter days of the 20th century, people finding and writing tools to use their CDs the way they want to.

Snotnose
Friday, July 09, 2004

"Do you live in the US? If so, then there is no commercial product that you can buy that allows you to exercise your archival rights on DVDs. (Been squashed in the name of DMCA.)"

Which can be a pain in the but when the only copy you have of your commercial is on DVD and you need a quick and dirty way to get it into a Powerpoint (don't ask, it wasn't my idea).

Once again the Warez community came through.  Beat the heck out of waiting three days until the producer of the spot got back in town.

Steve Barbour
Friday, July 09, 2004

Snotnose - go to http://www.doom9.org/ - lots of guides and links to tools you can use. Basically, I think you want to rip/"demux" the AC3 stream using something like SmartRipper and then convert the AC3 file to WAV or MP3 using something like "HeadAC3he".

Bummers are deaf
Friday, July 09, 2004

>> Once again the Warez community came through.

Why use Warez? There are several Open Source and/or Freeware rippers available for download. There are Windows as well as Linux programs available.

Just because the courts stopped the distribution of one commercial package doesn't mean that there still isn't plenty of other options available.

I have several programs at home to rip/reencode DVDs.  I've never 'pirated' a DVD with it, however, I use the programs to make copies to use in our Minivan's DVD player (don't feel like taking the chance on ruining an original disk).

RocketJeff
Friday, July 09, 2004

http://vcdimager.com . I think the current version supports MPEG-2. But for really hardcore needs, go for the commercial ones. Saves time, money and a lot of sleepless nights.

KayJay
Friday, July 09, 2004

>I've got a couple concert DVDs for which I just want to rip
> the soundtrack into an MP3 I can listen to at work.  Anyone
> know of such a beastie?

Yup... Follow the instructions below:

1) Use "smartripper" to rip the dvd to your harddrive.
2) Use "DVD2AVI" to convert the .vob files. The output of "DVD2AVI" will be .wav files and some kinda video files. Discard the video files. The soundtrack of the entire DVD will be in the .wav file.
3) Once you get the .wav file, use a wave editor to chop it up into sections, or encode the whole thing as MP3 if you like...

You should be able to find these programs on the internet together with how to use them. They are simple to find and use.

ripper
Friday, July 09, 2004

I didn't use Warez, I found the program to do what I needed through the Warez Dudez.

Generally the Warez/Cracker community has always been the quickest way to find out a way around stuff like this when I've needed it. YMMV of course.

Steve Barbour
Friday, July 09, 2004

The best tool I've found is Handbrake, if you have a Mac or Linux. It indexes sample images from the movie so that you can crop the resulting output (saves space) and also lets you specify the image quality as a "target size" rather than a bitrate. You don't have to know any arcane details about video formats.

anonymous
Friday, July 09, 2004

VideoLan Client.  Does exactly what you want.  www.videolan.org

hoser
Saturday, July 10, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home