Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Best mail client on Windows?

Hi All,

I'm going to move my email over to Windows (from my Mac), and thought I'd ask for your recommendations on which client is best. Before the Mac I had been using Outlook 2003, which I really liked compared to older versions, along with Cloudmark Spamnet. Anything else I should look at?

Thanks,

--Josh

JWA
Friday, July 09, 2004

mozilla's thunderbird is treating me right so far.

van pelt
Friday, July 09, 2004

I've had at least 1 false positive in the spam filter for Thunderbird. I wonder how Spam Beyes is doing.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, July 09, 2004

Outlook 2003 is amazing product and I don't know how I am managing my mails right now with Outlook 2002 [I got my company laptop which doesn't have Outlook 2003! :(]

JD
http://jdk.phpkid.org

JD
Friday, July 09, 2004

Outlook + Newsgator + Lookout + ActiveWords + K9 for spam.

Ankur
Friday, July 09, 2004

Outlook is what everyone use, but unless you have serious network administration behind it, it could spin out of control pretty quickly.

Li-fan Chen
Friday, July 09, 2004

no need for network administration when running Outlook at home.

Ankur
Friday, July 09, 2004

Even though Outlook sure is OK (previously used it both at work and at home), i personally prefer Mozilla Thunderbird. It is much faster and more responsive. It also looks really nice, IMHO.

I don't really know if the spam filter works although I think it should, since I use a filter with the same techniqe (bayesian) at my mail server which has worked extremly well.

I also have RSS support using an extension.

Take a look for yourself at http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/ . After all, its a less than 6MB download and completely free, so it's hard to find a reason not to give it a try.

Regards,
  Henrik Jernevad

Henrik Jernevad
Friday, July 09, 2004

Add me to the list recommending Thunderbird. No stability issues so far (crosses fingers), fast, and looks really nice.

Jimmy Jo-jo
Friday, July 09, 2004

I used Outlook and Outlook Express for years. Earlier this year when there was a rash of e-mail viruses/worms targetted towards Outlook I decided that, for security reasons it was time to change.

Now I am using Thunderbird 0.5. It's free, well-polished, and works! It is not perfect, I normally avoid pre 1.0 versions of products. My summary:
- a couple of bugs in there still, that affect me as a dial-up user
- you have to install Extensions to get some of the features you might think standard
- it is a great e-mail tool. Don't expect to use it as a calendar and to-do list as well.

All in all I recommend it.

Herr Herr
Friday, July 09, 2004

Gmail.com

usabilist
Friday, July 09, 2004

"Don't expect to use it as a calendar and to-do list as well."

Well, unless you install the Calendar extension that is. :-)

Henrik Jernevad
Friday, July 09, 2004

Outlook 2003

Just me (Sir to you)
Friday, July 09, 2004

The Bat looks good. Small, easily manages lots of messages, has built-in mail archiving and multiple address books with groups, PGP support, imports most mailbox formats so migration is a breeze, has good message organizational features (like "message parking" which prevents accidental deletion, flagging and color coding), custom templates for replies, multinational character encoding support, filters and spam killing of course, etc.

Best of all, it is secure.  It renders its own HTML without scripting and mail viruses do not live in it.

Friday, July 09, 2004

I second, third or forth Thunderbird.

And for mail migration, it's the easies thing in the world: open an IMAP account on fusemail or fastmail.fm. Drag your messages from your mail client into your imap account; close the old system and download the new messages into an offline mailbox in your new mail client.

This is the only method of migrating mail that gave me no trouble.

RP
Friday, July 09, 2004

gmail.

Troll
Friday, July 09, 2004

Outlook 2003

Wayne
Friday, July 09, 2004

I just paid for The Bat, which despite its extraordinarily cluttered interface is much more secure than Outlook and less annoying than Eudora.  (I don't know what it is, but I cannot stand Eudora.  Of course, I've never used it for more than five minutes, but still.)

Nicest thing about The Bat:  powerful filtering capabilities.

Most annoying thing about The Bat (so far):  missing the "insert signature block" feature that made switching identities easier in Outlook.

Sam Livingston-Gray
Friday, July 09, 2004

Bloomba is my fave.  Its' entirely search-based rather than folder based--kind of like Gmail, but on your desktop, and no clubby invitations required.  While outlook can take about a minute to search through a couple hundred megabytes of mail, Bloomba does it in almost no time.

piscot
Friday, July 09, 2004

Pegasus Mail. http://www.pmail.com

Powerful and secure.

Markus K
Tuesday, July 13, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home