Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Visual Studio Express

Beta Testers Wanted.
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/

Think it'll fly?

Visual Basic Express is a 3Gb footprint, needs SQL Server 2005 Express (another 750Mb), IE6SP1, .Net 2.0 and J# 2.0 - I'm not getting the "express" part of all this.

Mr. E Lurker
Thursday, July 08, 2004

How much of that 3GB is MSDN documentation?  Also, why would VB.Net express require J#?

Joe
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Oh no, 3 gigabyte footprint!!

That's like a dollar and eighty cents worth of hard drive space!!!

Microsoft is a bunch of monsters!!!

Mr Fancypants
Thursday, July 08, 2004

I tried downloading it. It downloaded 200 MB and then started installing. Stalled. LEft it overnight. Same result.

Then I couldn't install other .net software because .net 2.0 (which VSXpress installs) was partially installed.

This is on an XP Pro PC.

Anyone manage to get it installed?

Mr. Analogy
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Joe:
That's without MSDN but I'm expecting a lot of tutorial and help documentation will be in there.

Fancypants:
Some-ones been smacking you with the "MS-Bashers" stick again haven't they ~ bit of a hair trigger there. Poor fella, cost of HD space is irrelevant.

The point wasn't the size itself but how 3 to 4Gb equates to Express.

Mr. E Lurker
Thursday, July 08, 2004

cuz the full versions is 8GB ?  :)

Dan G
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Um, hmm, I see ... thanks.

So I guess it makes coffee as well ... 8Gb ... sheesh! Crap, I'm too old to venture in there - "experess" or not, I'll stick with VB6 and D7. Hopefully my tools will die before me :)

Mr. E Lurker
Friday, July 09, 2004

I haven't downloaded it since I don't have the time to play with early beta products. It would surprise me if the whole download for everything combined (VB, C#, C++, J#, ASP.net SQL) was more than 250Mb, since the reported target for the final products is around 30 Mb each. The requirements listed above (2Gb diskspace, J# stuff etc.) is not for the VB.NET Express, but for the total Express suite.
I would advice anyone experimenting with this to do this on a separate (virtual) machine. Chances this will seriously screw your system are high I would presume.

There is a section on download problems in the faq.
While it is noce to see MS going for early open access to beta's, they might want to stick some more "WARNING: Dangerous experiments! Uncleared minefield!!! Unwashed Oger about!!!!" stickers alongside the cute, smooth, pulease try out this shiny new toy slick webimagery.

Just me (Sir to you)
Friday, July 09, 2004

That last paragraph is too true. The MS bloggers rave about their Whidbey alphas and betas and ask everyone to try them out... then when somebody actually does install them and disasters happen, suddenly another dozen Microsofties and MVPs jump in and say "duh, why did you install a beta on a production machine!?"

It might be, you know, *responsible* or something to first ensure that your pre-release versions do a proper side-by-side installation before inviting the general public to try them.

Chris Nahr
Friday, July 09, 2004

I'm definitely going to try it this afternoon. However, my incredible software development skills are matched by no-one, and I'm very certain that this application will not be sufficient for my advanced requirements.

Anyone know where I can find a redhat 9 rpm for this?

Edward
Friday, July 09, 2004

These are links to the actual files that the stupid installer actually downloads. You can then burn these to CD or whatever.

NET Framework 2.0:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/6/6/9666067a-660f-48e0-a755-a83a81036b67/dotnetfx.exe

Visual Web Developer:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/e/1/6e1e9b98-928c-45f0-b44b-39f205090446/vwdsetup.exe

Not a requirement but allows you to play with Yukon-type stuff - SQL Server 2005 Express:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/f/8/cf872b5a-509b-44ce-b5ac-e693f7aec971/SQLEXPR.EXE

Duncan Smart
Friday, July 09, 2004

I tried to install VC# Express.. didnt get too far with it.. coz the downloading stopped half way.. can i find the installation exe (50 megs) anywhere without using the MSFT supplied downloader+installer ??
Why does this beta suck already (before installation)? I thought betas were all about enticing the public to eagerly wait for the final edition!! I'm going back to Visual Studio 2003.
:(

dotduhdude
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home