Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Seattle v Vancouver

According to a recent post it always rains in Seattle, which speaking from Scotland sounds just like home and, anyway, is a sight better than the SW States where the roads are all concrete because tarmac just melts in the summer and the water is so vile that you can't drink it. Anyway, to return to my original thought, if it's always raining in Seattle, how come the weather in Vancouver has been beautiful every time I've visited? Is there some kind of spooky homeland security thing that stops Canadian weather from leaking over the border?

David Roper
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Vancouver Island and the Rocky Mountain Ranges surround Vancouver, it mellows out the weather a bit because the nasty pacific systems have to fly over Vancouver, not through it. The same cannot be said for much of Washington State.

Li-fan Chen
Thursday, July 08, 2004

I really doesn't rain that much in Seattle. I have been living here for about 2 years.  It rains two days at most out of 7 days in a week.  It is really beautiful out here.

seattlelite
Thursday, July 08, 2004

As much as everyone thinks they can write software, I *really* feel for the meteorologists...

(ducks, runs)

schmoe
Thursday, July 08, 2004

"I really doesn't rain that much in Seattle. I have been living here for about 2 years.  It rains two days at most out of 7 days in a week.  It is really beautiful out here."

I've lived here for 15 years or so and the past two years have been really dry.  I wouldn't count on it staying that way.  If it does, we're in for deeper problems.

saberworks
Thursday, July 08, 2004

My two cents:

Seattle rains quite a bit, especially in winter, but it's very rarely a heavy rain.  Lots of light sprinkles that don't require an umbrella, and that stop and start many times throughout a day.  The statistic they always quote here in Seattle is that the total annual rainfall is actually less than New York or Houston - it's just more evenly spread out.

In Vancouver, the rain is heavy more often - fat drops that would soak you without an umbrella.

andrewm
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Been in Vancouver for 14 years.

Lots of rain and cloud in the winter. Snows a few times but doesn't stick around.  But usually not too cold. Summers are always nice and sunny. I would say Seattle and Vancouver have very similar weather patterns.

DJ
Thursday, July 08, 2004

I've lived in Vancouver for 32 years and visit Seattle often. Vancouver and Seattle do have very much the same weather. It has been unusually dry the past couple of years. I hope the dry trend doesn't last though because I like all the green grass and trees, and I don't like how dirty the sidewalks get when it doesn't rain.

njb
Thursday, July 08, 2004

July through mid-October is mostly (90% of days, I'd say) sunny.

hoser
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Lived in Seattle since 2000.  The rain is pretty moderate, the summers are really nice, but I don't mind that people think it's wet and rainy here all time.  Keeps the Californians out.

Objoke: what does daylight savings time mean in Seattle?
A: an extra hour a day of rain.

Alyosha`
Thursday, July 08, 2004

I doubt it's that bad in Seattle. There are plenty of places that logs more rain. I would say except for the American Caymans, the Philipines and Hawaii are both warm american places with a ton of rain.

Li-fan Chen
Friday, July 09, 2004

Seattllites are bunch of pussies!

another angle
Friday, July 09, 2004

It's raining now, at least here in Victoria.

Mr. E Lurker
Friday, July 09, 2004

Seattllites are hard-core mo'fo's!!

Yet another angle
Friday, July 09, 2004

DJ said Vancouver is not too cold and summers are always nice and sunny. What's the range of temperatures you're talking about?

Throwaway brrr
Friday, July 09, 2004

Winters in Vancouver are usually 5C to 10C average temp. Might be cold to some but having grown up in Edmonton (winters often go to -35C) Vancouver is mighty balmy to me.

DJ
Friday, July 09, 2004

I just hope it doesn't rain in Scotland this weekend as I'm going to T in the park.

Gordon Hartley
Friday, July 09, 2004

Actually, it's the same particular combination of ocean air currents & mountain ranges that make Seattle always wet, and areas nearby always dry.

Seattle is (or so I was told) the only place on Earth where you're a short drive from every known climate. There's a rain forest, desert, and on top of Mount Ranier, arctic conditions.

www.MarkTAW.com
Saturday, July 10, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home