Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Free CVS Hosting??

I'm looking for a CVS host for a small project I'm working on at home.  (Yes, I know I could do it myself, but I've already made the decision to use a hosting service.)

Does anyone have experience with cvsdude.org?  I am considering signing up for their free service. 

Thanks in advance.

Brian
Thursday, July 08, 2004

If it's open source, SourceForge will do it for you.

x
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Unless you want to share the source with others, or keep an offsite backup of your work, why would you want/need to use a hosting service?

Ian
Thursday, July 08, 2004

https://www.freepository.com/

A Pterodactylus Ate My Baby
Thursday, July 08, 2004

I would recommend putting up an old computer and putting the cvs server on it.  CVS is trivial to set up if you've got a decent distro like knoppix/debian/gentoo/etc.  Once it's installed, it takes two commands to create a repository and add all your files to it.  Then you don't have the risk of others getting at you code when you don't want them to.

saberworks
Thursday, July 08, 2004

If the spare computer is unavailable, just get a copy of TortoiseCVS and use the "Local" protocol.  This creates a CVS repository on your local machine, with which you can sync as if it was on a CVS server.

Plus, you'll get to use all the other neat features of TortoiseCVS.

Kevin
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Thanks for the recomendations.

The reason I want an on-line service is so I can access the project from the road on my work laptop.  I don't always keep my home laptop on, and I'd rather not have a server sitting around my apartment.

Brian
Thursday, July 08, 2004

I'm using cvsdude. No issues so far, the guy who runs it is very responsive.

jon
Thursday, July 08, 2004

There is a free 10 Mb novel Ifolder unlimited demo.
You get 10Mb on a server somewhere that syncs with a named folder on your machine.
You can also access files over the web.

Not directly CVS but you can use tortoise CVS to checkin to an archive in the folder, and every 5 mins it the folder gets synced to Novel.

Martin Beckett
Friday, July 09, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home