Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

JOS UI issue

On the JOS home page, it says:

"Enter your email address to receive a (very occasional) email whenever I write a major new article. You can unsubscribe at any time, of course."

Oh, yeah?  How?  I don't keep the emails Joel sends, which I imagine might have an unsubscribe link.  The original confirmation email says:

"Your e-mail address 'spam@spam.com' has been submitted to be subscribed to the 'Joel on Software' mailing list. To insure that this is what you intended, you need to confirm your subscription.

To confirm that you want to receive Joel on Software notifications, simply click on the link below:

http://whatcounts.com/bin/confirm?code=L111111111111111111111

If you prefer not to join the list simply ignore this message and do nothing."

So, anyone have any idea how to unsubscribe?

Grumpy Old-Timer
Thursday, July 08, 2004

keep the next email, Stupid?

muppet from madebymonkeys.net
Thursday, July 08, 2004

To unsubscribe click here:

http://whatcounts.com/u?id=<your code here>

DJ
Thursday, July 08, 2004

<keep the next email, Stupid? >

I won't *be* here, Asshole?

Grumpy Old-Timer
Thursday, July 08, 2004

And your email will only be here?

Joel on Trolling
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Dude, it's not like stopping the newspaper when you go on vacation.  Even if you no longer visit the site, you'll still have an unsubscribe link in your email.

Your logic appears to have come free with your breakfast.  Please explain.

Thursday, July 08, 2004

Jesus Christ, people, why is this so hard to understand?

I'm leaving the company.

I won't have access to my e-mail account.

My email account, however, will not be deleted for quite some time, for reasons that don't frigging matter.

I don't want all my subscriptions to continue to go to this email account.

I won't *BE* here to get the next email.

I cannot forward my email to my home account (don't ask).

Does that about cover it?  Anyone else have any stupid questions?  When did this place become Slashdot?

Grumpy Old-Timer
Thursday, July 08, 2004

What do you care if your non deleted account continues to fill up with subscription newsletters?  Are you not supposed to be using your email for ANYTHING personal, work-related material or no?  If that's the case, seems your fault anyway, hmm?

Otherwise, who gives a rat's gallstones if you keep getting mail at a defunct address?

Seems you probably should have like, saved the emails.  Yours is a very specific (and stupid) predicament.

Thursday, July 08, 2004

"This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."

Gen'xer
Thursday, July 08, 2004

I think all the OP is asking for is a way to login and change his e-mail address like he would do on any other web site that sends e-mail newsletters.

Derek
Thursday, July 08, 2004

write to joel dude, write to him

Thursday, July 08, 2004

GOOD LORD I HAVE TO FILL OUT A WEB FORM ***TWICE***???!!

::faints dead away::

Thursday, July 08, 2004

"I think all the OP is asking for is a way to login and change his e-mail address like he would do on any other web site that sends e-mail newsletters."

Finally, a sane voice.  Thank you.

I think I'm done here.  The signal-to-noise ratio has gotten too high when asking a simple fucking question leads to being called 'stupid' by 12-year-olds...

Grumpy Old-Timer
Thursday, July 08, 2004

You got responses which match the tone of your original post.

chris
Thursday, July 08, 2004

You're probably going to have to resubscribe.

There's nowhere on the website to unsubscribe.

Still you normally only get the email once every six weeks.

Stephen Jones
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Well put Chris.

Mr. Analogy
Thursday, July 08, 2004

the original post simply quoted the program which has a UI problem. sounds like he kept the subscription notice, which usually includes the unsubscribe notice, but in this case doesn't. so it's frustrating.

possible workaround, depending on how the system works: resubscribe w/same old email, then unsubscribe.

muppet: are you a troll or are you the same person who didn't understand why people weren't sympathetic to your condition a few days ago or both?

mb
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Why do you care about this if you are leaving the company?

Sounds like someone else's problem, like the IT guy's problem.  And even then, not much of a real problem in storing a couple K of text every 6 weeks.

Mr. Fancypants
Thursday, July 08, 2004

I don't have an answer Grumpt Old Timer, however I do sympathise with your thoughts about this post.

A question is asked, yet in all of the posts that follow, barely any attempt to answer your question, just critisise your desire for an answer.

The odd critising post is tolerable, but this many is ridiculise.
....Oh my gosh, you want to unsubscribe and you don't know how.....Come on Grumpy Old Timer, you should know better then to ask questions like that around here. Gosh man what do you think this is, an intelligent forum with people giving intelligent answers?

Guys, being critical is fine, being a mob rude, mean etc posters is not.

Aussie chick
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Grumpy, just see if you can forward them all to Mr. Fancypants - he's volunteered to take care of it for you.

Philo

Philo
Thursday, July 08, 2004

This is the link to unsubscribe: (on 3 lines here, should be on one, change the email-sddress, and paste in your browser)

http://www.whatcounts.com/bin/listctrl?slid=470001004392224892&cmd=unsubscribe&email=
youraddres@domain.com&format=plain

Jack
Friday, July 09, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home