Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

document permissions issue on J2EE intranet system

We are developing an intranet application using J2EE/servlets with all computers on LAN being windows xp.
Functionality is there to search documents on computers residing on the LAN for words and phrases.
It uses SQLServer indexing and ms search service.
Currently everything works fine, but the problem is with the file permissions.
The windows machines all are in a single domain, and file permissions can be set differently for different domain users.
When the documents are retuned after being queried, I don't want the client browser to see documents for which it does not have permissions for. I can't do anything much on the server as for each document, the permissions would be different on different machines that is different permissions on client and server.
Anybody has faced this problem before? Any solutions?

Anon
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Not to plug, but I generally do that with IBM Content Manager.  I imagine some such tool would get you the permissions levels you want.  I am assuming that the degree of permission-setting necessary will vary more if you can get it to work the way you have it now, meaning you're gonna have to have permission groups,etc.  Managing all that can be tough if you're just using the file perm settings, etc.

sir_flexalot
Thursday, July 08, 2004

I can't think of a way to access windows file permissions from a "pure" java system, but I recall that there is a JNI product that will look at all sorts of NTFS stuff.  I can't remember the name of it, but try googling for it.

Brian
Thursday, July 08, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home