Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Got the excuse to order a Mac/Linux M/C

I turned on automatic Windows Update to TRUE because of the security issues.

After a few days, my computer is not booting. My knowledge of security etc. is not so high and i formatted the hard drive thinking it was a virus. Its some missing dll called hal.dll. Setup  windows again and its not detecting some hardware. Need to find the right drivers. It was a brand new Dell PC ordered just 8 months back.

Coming back to sanity, please recommend a proper non-Windows laptop, either Linux or Macintosh. Affordably priced (<1200).

Karthik
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Apple G4 PowerBooks go for $1400 used.

hoser
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Surely you also turned on your firewall?  Raised IE's security settings?

Greg Hurlman
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Hal means hardware abstraction layer. It's pretty well the most important component of any NT based system.

Stephen Jones
Thursday, July 08, 2004

<<Surely you also turned on your firewall?  Raised IE's security settings? >>

It sounds foolish. But it was normal. Is it a virus?. I checked on the internet and does not sound like one.

I will never use Internet Explorer again. thanks

Karthik
Thursday, July 08, 2004

"I will never use Internet Explorer again. thanks "

Thus speaketh a sensible man.

.net, the equivalent of MS Bob.
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Yes, please go buy a Mac or build a Linux laptop and leave the people who know what the hell they're doing with Windows alone.

Wayne
Thursday, July 08, 2004

>Apple G4 PowerBooks go for $1400 used.

Also, please forgive the resident Mac user, he's not good at simple mathematics.

Wayne
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Dude, I think you need to go to computers 101, sounds like you'll have trouble with any computer/os.

me
Thursday, July 08, 2004

So Wayne, what's your excuse for being a whining bitch?

That time of the month?

hoser
Thursday, July 08, 2004

"my computer is not booting"  - reformat drive
"windows is slow" - reformat drive
"xyz program is not working" - reformat drive

People - reformatting your drive is probably the last thing you should be doing. Often problems are trival to fix. You just have to be methodical about troubleshooting it.  The last problem I had booting was caused by a stuck key...

DJ
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Ok Wayne,

Do you mean to say everyone who knows what to do when a hal.dll goes  missing should work with windows?

Karthik
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Seems to me you should have called Dell Support. They are usually responsive to sitiuations like that and would have even walked you trough how to fix the problem.

Dell Fan
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Karthik,

are you trollling, we all thought you use nothing but OpenBSD all day, what is this moment of weakness where you end up ordering a piece of crap from Dell.com? Explain?

Li-fan Chen
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Excuse me, I mean OpenBSD as audited by the NSA, didn't mean to insult you Karthik.

Li-fan Chen
Thursday, July 08, 2004

"Yes, please go buy a Mac or build a Linux laptop and leave the people who know what the hell they're doing with Windows alone."

heh, interesting.  when did windows become the OS intended only for those who know what they are doing?

FullNameRequired
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Get an iBook.

GinG
Thursday, July 08, 2004

GinG, I was actually thinking that the other day, they are pretty cheap and light.

Li-fan Chen
Thursday, July 08, 2004

I was not trolling. Needed to get something urgent done and hey !, this $@%% DLL is not there anymore. I open my Dell Manual and great, i dont find anything to recover.

Karthik
Thursday, July 08, 2004

I bought a great laptop from laclinux.com - they have models in your price range easily.  They come preinstalled with any of a number of distributions, and they will even install all the software you want (just send them a list when you order).  They also have GREAT tech support.  I get responses to my emails within one business day and they are always very helpful and knowledgable.  No, I don't work there nor do I have any affiliation with them whatsoever.  I liked my laptop so much I even bought a desktop from them.  I recommend Debian ;)

saberworks
Thursday, July 08, 2004

As far as the Apple laptops go,
http://store.apple.com will let you price & configure whatever you want.

In your price range, you're probably looking at a iBook G4 with a 12" screen. I've got one, and it's a fine workhorse portable computer. If you're going to do development on it, you'll want to budget for more memory - the standard 256MB is a little low.

-Mark

Mark Bessey
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Li,

I dont use Open BSD and not linux either. just open office.

Karthik
Thursday, July 08, 2004

Did you even try googling for 'HAL.DLL', try it, I'll wait....................good, did you notice that the first five or six describe how to recover from a missing hal.dll? 

Why in the hell would you reformat your computer for an issue this simple?  Would you buy a new car because your brakes started to squeal when you stopped? 

I wouldn't expect that users fix this on their own but you could have called dell's tech support and they should have been able to walk you through this -- that is their job.  Of course having done some prior diligence yourself you should be able to guide the tech support guy along and get the issue resolved quicker.

O Canader
Friday, July 09, 2004

Wow, have some null content.

Karthik:  I'm not *trying* to be insulting, but if you're stymied by this kind of Windows misbehavior, I would strongly suggest that you avoid Linux like the plague: it's worse.  If you get a Mac laptop, try to get a G4 and spend a few extra bucks maxing out the RAM.

Sam Livingston-Gray
Friday, July 09, 2004

<<Did you even try googling for 'HAL.DLL', try it, I'll wait....................good, did you notice that the first five or six describe how to recover from a missing hal.dll? >>

Sir, I was trying to get some work done at home quickly. If i cant boot, how can i google?.

Thanks

Karthik
Friday, July 09, 2004

I have to agree with Sam here...Linux can get insanely hairy really fast if you're not very careful.

Hm...adverbs, anyone?

Aaron F Stanton
Friday, July 09, 2004

What?!?!? You work with windows and dont have more than *one* internet ready computer??? Are you *insane*?!?!

anon-y-mous cow-ard
Sunday, July 11, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home